Fiberglass Ladders

Status
Not open for further replies.

ote

I have several Fiberglass ladders on my ladder rack on my work van, 8ft, 12ft, and 24ft ext. Here recently after removing them for various jobs, my arms are getting eat up with fiberglass. Feels like I've been in an insulated attic. I assume its the UV rays from the sun breaking down the ladders. Didn't know if there is a preventative solution for this or not or just time to replace the ladders. They still seem is good shape structurally. Was thinking about spraying a clear laquer finish on them........???? Anyone else having this problem or solution???????????

From http://www.orosha.org/pdf/pubs/3083.pdf, Oregon's OSHA publication on ladder safety:

After a few years, the reinforcing fibers in fiberglass rails may become exposed, resulting in a condition known as ?fiber bloom.? High humidity and exposure to strong sunlight can accelerate the condition. Fiber bloom doesn?t affect a ladder?s strength but it will affect the appearance and may cause users mild discomfort if exposed fibers penetrate their skin. Regular washing and waxing with a commercial non-slip paste wax will protect the ladder and reduce the potential for fiber bloom. Periodically coating the ladder with acrylic lacquer or polyurethane also will protect it.

However they also say:
Store wood and fiberglass away from excessive moisture, heat, and sunlight.

And http://www.wernerladder.com/catalog/files/rc81.pdf tells us:
The ladder can then be recoated with acrylic, polyurethane, or epoxy paint to restore the appearance and surface finish. (See page 4 for recommended coatings.)

And, on the front page of the guide:
DANGER! Use care when working on or near any electrical circuits. Unless you are a professional trained specifically for the work shown, stay clear of High Voltage power sources.

hurk27

I've used a clear gel coat that they use for FB boats and cars, I found some in a spray can, and I lightly sanded the exposed fibers down, and it worked great, also the gel coat is a UV protectant, I have yet had to re-coat any ladder after this.
CHeck with a body shop that does FB cars or boats

ote

Fiberglass Ladders

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure what to do with them and still be acceptable(OSHA).

wtucker

One ladder manufacturer we deal with recommends Simonizing their fiberglas ladders every six months (maybe because auto polish has something in it to block UV and IR rays).

I don't agree with OSHA about the strength issue. I've seen old ladders with plenty of fiber bloom break pretty easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.