light fixtures and listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

teej

I am sure this has come up before. The NEC requires that all luminares and lampholders shall be listed. There are some retailers that have unlisted lighting fixtures or enclosures (step lights), but have listed components, ie the ballast, light socket, connectors and wire. I have seen the same style of lights by other retailers that are fully listed fixtures that are similar in construction. I see that NEC 410.6 requires all luminares and lampholders to be listed. The definition of luminare under article 100 doesn't seem to cover lighting enlcosures themselves. I am wondering if the entire light fixture is required to be listed and whether some companies are cutting corners. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the fixture did not have a third party listing that is accepted in NC then it would be a violation to install it even if the parts are listed. The parts may be listed but not listed for use in certain applications.

I have seen some low voltage tranies that were installed in the canopies of fixture where there is no place for air to circulate. The tranies were listed but installing them in this manner may not get a third party approval.

tttoo

The UL Standard for Luminaires (UL1598) defines "Luminaire" as a complete lighting unit consisting of a lamp or lamps, together with the parts designed to to distribute the light, to position and protect the lamp and ballast (where applicable), and to connect the lamps to the power supply.

renosteinke

This can easily become an inspectors' migrane.

First off, remember that UL charges by the lable. It's not all that unusual for manufacturers to offer essentially the same product in 'listed' and 'unlisted' forms - with the price difference reflecting the cost of putting the sticker on.

Then there are the 'lamp kits' that could conceivably be listed, but that the customer is allowed to provide the decorative elements. For example ... anyone make a lamp out of a bowling pin in shop class? Someone just might market such a (listed) kit to the crafts market.

Finally, there are all manner of pure dreck being imported as 'lighting fixtures' tht is not listed- nor should it be! I encountered one such that had a counterfeit UL lable on it! FWIW, I also have a roll of genuine UL lables that was aquired at a flea market. Need I say more?

Status
Not open for further replies.