Type mc cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
The electrical contractor is proposing to use MC cables throughout the building (large warehouse/distribution type). Is there a code limitation as to the use of MC cables for commercial buildings? I thought it's limited to 6feet and in walls.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
MC can be used at any length. It is a recognized wiring method the same as AC, NM, UF, etc.....

See article 330 for uses allowed and not allowed.

Roger

raider1

Staff member
No limitations to the lenght of MC cable. Check out 330.10 for uses permitted for MC cable.

I believe you are confusing the requirements for flexible metal conduit FMC where the conduit is to be used as the equipment grounding conductor with MC cable.

Chris

wireguy8169

Can save some time in the long run

Can save some time in the long run

Depending on how many runs and how nicely they run it MC can save lots of pipe work, and that can equate to saved labor cost. But, there is nothing code related that doesnt allow for it to be used in your situation as you explain it. Personally, I look at each job and decide. I actually saw an article (sorry for the hijack) in EC&M several years ago where in Kansas City or something like that, they used MC to rewire an old train station something on the scale of grand central. Sizes up to 500MCM, it was an older building and it made the job work out better for the contractors and this very old building(s).

Hendrix

Depending on how many runs and how nicely they run it MC can save lots of pipe work, and that can equate to saved labor cost. But, there is nothing code related that doesnt allow for it to be used in your situation as you explain it. Personally, I look at each job and decide. I actually saw an article (sorry for the hijack) in EC&M several years ago where in Kansas City or something like that, they used MC to rewire an old train station something on the scale of grand central. Sizes up to 500MCM, it was an older building and it made the job work out better for the contractors and this very old building(s).
Sounds like MCAP would go well in this app.

Jim W in Tampa

Unless it is speced for emt then i see no reason not not to use MC. It will be a major drop in price and plenty safe. Very few places want the added cost and time of EMT.

ed downey

Wireguy,
I was the Senior PM for the Electrical Contractor on that Project. We used 60,000 LF of ALCAN Aluminum Feeder MC Cable (3 and 4 conductor)for all feeders 100A and larger. We had some runs that where 700 LF long and one continous run. Was very nice application since we did not have room for junction boxes in a historic building.

It was a very interesting project that probably took 10 years off of my life.

The Project was ~$14 Million dollar elctrical and took just under 2 years. It was "Union Station & Science City" in Kansas City.

Regarding branch MC Cable there are certain local builidng codes that do not allow MC Cable so I would suggest you check with the local officials before you install.

-Ed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.