Art 645.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

durelect

My question deals with Art 645.5 (D) (2)
My company does alot of work in data centers and the way I read this section as does the local AHJ,the branch circuit raceways suppling power to the IT equipment will be supported as per art 300.11. Now we have a company that is pre-making the raceways.They use sealtight,wire and outlets that aren't special or made only for IT equipment.They are outlets that electricians use for many situations.The bottom line is,they somehow got UL to list these premade "wiring assemblies" as "for IT equipment" as in ART 645.5 (E).I think UL has misintrepted ART 645.5 and these unsupported branch circuits are very unsafe.Many machine users,plumbers and other non-electrical workers go under these raised floors and they pull the sealtight around and they end up broken,wires get pulled from the breakers and so on.
Am I wrong or has UL made a mistake?

iwire

Staff member
My question deals with Art 645.5 (D) (2)
My company does alot of work in data centers and the way I read this section as does the local AHJ,the branch circuit raceways suppling power to the IT equipment will be supported as per art 300.11. Now we have a company that is pre-making the raceways.They use sealtight,wire and outlets that aren't special or made only for IT equipment.They are outlets that electricians use for many situations.The bottom line is,they somehow got UL to list these premade "wiring assemblies" as "for IT equipment" as in ART 645.5 (E).I think UL has misintrepted ART 645.5 and these unsupported branch circuits are very unsafe.Many machine users,plumbers and other non-electrical workers go under these raised floors and they pull the sealtight around and they end up broken,wires get pulled from the breakers and so on.
Am I wrong or has UL made a mistake?

In my opinion you are incorrect and UL has not made a mistake.

As stupid as it sounds if you and I make up the same whips with the same equipment they must be supported, if the whips are made by someone that can get the UL sticker then they do not have to be supported.

cripple

Art 645.5

My question would be is the company making the per-made raceways contracted by the IT equipment manufacture. If are they are they following the constructions specification that the manufacture submitted to UL for listing, if so 645.5(E) would apply.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would agree with Bob on this one. I have had this argument many times with contractors. If you make it in the field it is not a whip, a whip is factory made and usually attached to the equipment it is made to supply.

durelect

These people are making these "whips" in a warehouse they rented.They have no connection with the factory that makes the IT equipment.The outlets,sealtight,wiring,boxes and so on are the exact same materials I would buy from the local supply store if I were to install it in the field.When Art 645.5 says that Power cords listed to be used with or for IT equipment,they are talking about the power cord shipped with the equipment or made as cripple says under the direction of the IT equipment factory and with the cable insulation as directed in Art 645.These "whips" are anywhere from 15 ft to 50ft 0r 300ft or even longer.The correct term for these "whips" is "Branch Circuit" and 645.5 clearly says that branch circuits supply IT equipment shall comply with Art 300.11.All of the local inspectors agree with me on this but because UL has listed these branch circuits for use with IT equpment,the inspectors hands are tied.

cripple

Art 645.5

645.5(D)(2) is applicable to premises wiring (system), the approved wire methods form the premises distribution panel to the location of the IT equipment will need to comply with 300.11.
645.(E) would apply to any approved wiring method used for only form one piece of IT equipment (Power Distribution Unit) that would supply another piece of IT equipment or communications cables; connecting cables; interconnecting cables required for the operation of the IT equipment would not be required comply with 300.11

Status
Not open for further replies.