Time limit on electrical work Osha??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a safety rule (OSHA) that puts a limit on how long a person can work on electricity with an 8 hr break ( basically sleep)??? Other than common sense kicking in, I always thought and was told there was a limit, this had came up when I was in the military and our safety guy had to shut us down because our supervisor was going over board at the time.

I havent been able to find it though. Any help would be appreciated.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Is there a safety rule (OSHA) that puts a limit on how long a person can work on electricity with an 8 hr break ( basically sleep)??? Other than common sense kicking in, I always thought and was told there was a limit, this had came up when I was in the military and our safety guy had to shut us down because our supervisor was going over board at the time.

The local utility used to be able to work their guys 32 hours, but they just recently got cut to 24.

WorkSafe

No such regulation. Only industry that I know that requires any sort of time limit on work is in the transportation industry.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
May be a union reg. We have requirements here for our repair crews. I don't have the actual wording in front of me, but if they were to work until 3 in the morning not only do they get a meal break, but they don't have to report to work at 7 the next day.

wireguy8169

Our plant had it where you had to have 8 hrs off between shifts usually, but now and then you could slip through with only 6 hrs if you chose to, and that was if no one complained about it but it was not an osha reg...

Status
Not open for further replies.