Would You or Wouldn't You

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Would You or Wouldn't You

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

We are in the process of trimming out a house and I thought I would take and post a pic of one of the counter receptacles. The cabinet and counter layout left the HO with an 11" counter inbetween a cabinet and stove. I knew at the time of rough in that the dimensions did not require a receptacle, but, IMO, how do you not provide one. Just curious what the percentages would be here.

ShortCounter2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Code would allow the omission, but I'd discuss it with the customer, and strongly suggest including it unless they object for some reason.

There are plenty of appliances, such as toasters, that will easily fit within an 11" space.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Code would allow the omission, but I'd discuss it with the customer, and strongly suggest including it unless they object for some reason.

There are plenty of appliances, such as toasters, that will easily fit within an 11" space.

I agree except I would just install one and not ask about it. :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with Bob and also suggest that unless at R.I. you could be positive the width would be less than 12, the possibility of having to add one on Final would make me lean toward just placing one there to be safe,

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would put one in for the same reason that Larry said, great place for a coffee maker. I would also agree with Gus, that's pretty close and on the plans I would think that it's to close to take a chance on.

mcclary's electrical

I would definately WANT one there, but if this was bid specifically "code minimum",,,,,,,,(which is a fairly regular request nowadays) I would charge extra for it.

mxslick

I'm also in the yes camp. If you didn't, I see an extension or appliance cord stretched across the back of the range. In fact, I HAVE seen it. :grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
To all those who say they would 'automatically' install it........ are you doing the bidding? Is it your own company?
Yes, now I don't bid tract homes so if there are hundreds of these I could see why one wouldn't install it. On a custom home, plain and simple, it goes in.

Split Bolt

To all those who say they would 'automatically' install it........ are you doing the bidding? Is it your own company?

Yes and Yes

I don't wire new homes but I do remodel high-end kitchens with a couple of contractors. I would get a bad reputation among the clients if I tried to get away without one there. I would put one on a 6" counter space if the studs allowed for it! (good cell phone charging area!):D

wireguy8169

whats the cost

whats the cost

considering there is more than likely another receptacle just over the stove your looking at 10ft of conductor a plastic box, rec, and plate not to mention about 10 minutes labor between rough and trim. I have the materials left over on a job to do this and if not I had to run out and get something or someone did and that took about an hour or so of labor at 60 bucks an hour or whatever you may be charging and gas I would hope a guy that worked for me would do it regardless who was bidding it, but I see the point your trying to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.