Feeder or Branch Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

Here's the deal, I have electrical pedestals for an RV park. Each has a feed through terminal block for the supply conductors. Each pedestal contains three circuit breakers protecting three respective receptacle outlets. The pedestals themselves are UL listed as power outlets not a circuit breaker enclosure or a panelboard enclosure. With this information are the supply conductors to the pedestal considered a feeder or a branch circuit according to the NEC?

I considered the supply conductors a feeder until I read the UL listing as a power outlet. Now I'm confused. If the entire structure is a power outlet then would the OCPDs internal to said power outlet count as final OCPDs to define the supply as a branch circuit? :confused:

raider1

Staff member
I would say that the supply conductors are feeders and not branch circuits.

The breakers in the RV pedestals would be the branch circuit overcurrent protective devices.

Chris

hurk27

being a feeder would depend upon whether or not there is OCPD ahead of the circuit, if these conductors are protected, then they are feeders, if not then they are service conductors, but I have only seen that once, most parks have a MDP with breakers ahead of the feeders to the pedestals.

Electron_Sam78

being a feeder would depend upon whether or not there is OCPD ahead of the circuit, if these conductors are protected, then they are feeders, if not then they are service conductors, but I have only seen that once, most parks have a MDP with breakers ahead of the feeders to the pedestals.

Yes we have the MDP feeding the park pedestal circuits

hurk27

With this information are the supply conductors to the pedestal considered a feeder or a branch circuit according to the NEC?

True. I should have specified that part of the situation in the OP. Now that that's cleared up what do you think about the posed question?

100 definitions:
Feeder. All circuit conductors between the service equipment, the source of a separately derived system, or other power supply source and the final branch-circuit overcurrent device.

Looks clear to me, your question was answered long ago;)

Electron_Sam78

I think we've kind of gotten off topic. My point was if the whole pedestal is UL listed as a power outlet wouldn't it be kind of like wiring in a
receptacle that had it's own little circuit breaker (think about a GFCI receptacle)? The UL listing is what got me thinking along these lines.

hurk27

I think we've kind of gotten off topic. My point was if the whole pedestal is UL listed as a power outlet wouldn't it be kind of like wiring in a
receptacle that had it's own little circuit breaker (think about a GFCI receptacle)? The UL listing is what got me thinking along these lines.

really wouldn't matter because the NEC definition is based because of the breakers in that power outlet, no different that a mobile home pedestal that has breakers in it to feed the mobile home, and AC equipment, the conductors feeding this pedestal are by NEC definition feeders. and because the conductors going into the home also have a breaker panel in the home they are feeders also, the same as the cord that is going into a camper, even though it is a cord its still a feeder as the camper has a breaker panel in it. the feeder ends when you reach the breakers for the branch circuits, but doesent mean another feeder can't begin.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm curious why it matters feeder -vs- branch circuit? In some application it can matter. Take a hot tub. If you provide a circuit with an outlet for a hot tub, does that circuit change between feeder and branch depending on whether the hot tub you buy has internal circuit breakers? How about if you have a 50A circuit with a 50A GFCI breaker disconnect box downstream (its job is to provide GFCI and disconnect capability, not overcurrent) -- is the 50A run from the panel to disconnect a branch circuit or feeder?

In the case of pool circuits, this distinction can matter because of insulated grounding wire requirements for feeders -vs- branch circuits. Is there a similar issue with RV pedestals?

Electron_Sam78

I'm curious why it matters feeder -vs- branch circuit? In some application it can matter. Take a hot tub. If you provide a circuit with an outlet for a hot tub, does that circuit change between feeder and branch depending on whether the hot tub you buy has internal circuit breakers? How about if you have a 50A circuit with a 50A GFCI breaker disconnect box downstream (its job is to provide GFCI and disconnect capability, not overcurrent) -- is the 50A run from the panel to disconnect a branch circuit or feeder?

In the case of pool circuits, this distinction can matter because of insulated grounding wire requirements for feeders -vs- branch circuits. Is there a similar issue with RV pedestals?

In my case I'm deciding if I need to argue for ground rods at each pedestal under 250.32(A)

Electron_Sam78

really wouldn't matter because the NEC definition is based because of the breakers in that power outlet, no different that a mobile home pedestal that has breakers in it to feed the mobile home, and AC equipment, the conductors feeding this pedestal are by NEC definition feeders. and because the conductors going into the home also have a breaker panel in the home they are feeders also, the same as the cord that is going into a camper, even though it is a cord its still a feeder as the camper has a breaker panel in it. the feeder ends when you reach the breakers for the branch circuits, but doesent mean another feeder can't begin.

Talking about RVs or campers, technically you're right but I think the hardwired electrical system ends, as far as the NEC is concerned, at the receptacle outlets in the pedestal. The RV itself is considered it's own independent system and covered in another article.

Status
Not open for further replies.