Oh Boy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I'm sure I'm gonna get slammed for this but here is my question.

Ok, if you were replacing a 120/208 3 phase panel containing (12) 20a circuits with a new identical 120/208 3 phase panel in the same location would you:

1. Figure addional conduit/wire for the main feed and branch circuits? If it is the same place I would assume you could just reconnect but maybe it might be short possibly. Can conduits just get disconnected from the backbox then reconnected to the new backbox?

Thanks.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

Ok, if you were replacing a 120/208 3 phase panel containing (12) 20a circuits with a new identical 120/208 3 phase panel in the same location would you:

1. Figure addional conduit/wire for the main feed and branch circuits? If it is the same place I would assume you could just reconnect but maybe it might be short possibly. Can conduits just get disconnected from the backbox then reconnected to the new backbox?

Thanks.

The new panel is actually about 3' over from the exisintg panel so i assume the conduits have to cut back then a box put in and splice and extend feeder and circuits. Or maybe I can use the backbox as a splice box??????

satcom

What kind of company do you work for? , don't that have an engineer, or someone qualified to make decisions.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In my opinion, it depends mainly on how the conduits enter the existing box. If they enter mostly from one end (side) then it's pretty simple to slip the existing box off the conduits. If the existing box is "captive" by several conduits, you might want to consider the panel-jbox idea but that's never real aesthetic.
(You didn't give an amperage panel..smaller is normally easier, 12 ckt box should not be a big deal with either option)

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
The new panel is actually about 3' over from the exisintg panel so i assume the conduits have to cut back then a box put in and splice and extend feeder and circuits. Or maybe I can use the backbox as a splice box??????

Why does this panel need to be moved/replaced? You can use the old back box as a J-box.

Rewire

Thanks.

I would fire my estimator for spending his time on discussion forums. My first question would be why are you replacing the old panel?Are you changing the panel baord and the can? If the old can meets space requirements why not just swap panel boards

nakulak

there is no one size fits all answer for the question - it would be a what fits best for this room/job conditions situation.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I would fire my estimator for spending his time on discussion forums. My first question would be why are you replacing the old panel?Are you changing the panel baord and the can? If the old can meets space requirements why not just swap panel boards

Hope that was a joke about the firing....how much time do I really spend on here....very minimal and I bust my ass ALL day at work. THey are asking for a new panel so that's how it has to be figured. Got it Rewire?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
there is no one size fits all answer for the question - it would be a what fits best for this room/job conditions situation.

Thanks Nakulak and I agree. They show the new panel in a different location and it would have to get approved to be in a different location I assume. Feed and branch has to be extended to new panel. Thanks again.

mxslick

Thank you, that is the best answer so far and without condescending attitude.

See nakulak's post.

If you would fire your estimator for trying to get answers as to how to to a job better/faster/less chance of red tagging, I am sure glad I don't work for you. :roll:

Some AHJ's may object to reusing the old panel can, some may let you put the guts and cover on the old can if they'll fit properly and wire bend radius is ok, some will only allow the old can to act as a j-box or pull can. There is no universal answer.

Hope that was a joke about the firing....how much time do I really spend on here....very minimal and I bust my ass ALL day at work. THey are asking for a new panel so that's how it has to be figured. Got it Rewire?

Don't take it personally..every now and then, for whatever reason, people on the forums get wound up and combative for no reason.

Everyone take a time out and come back when you can behave. :grin:

And as for your original question which is on here somewhere, there are some variables involved. If the new can is the same or very close physical dimensions, sure you can disconnect the conduits from the old and attach them to the new. But in terms of time, it is usually faster to set the new can next to the old and run big conduits (or chase nipples if they can be right next to each other) and use the old as a j-box.

Last edited:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Thank you, that is the best answer so far and without condescending attitude.

See nakulak's post.

If you would fire your estimator for trying to get answers as to how to to a job better/faster/less chance of red tagging, I am sure glad I don't work for you. :roll:

Some AHJ's may object to reusing the old panel can, some may let you put the guts and cover on the old can if they'll fit properly and wire bend radius is ok, some will only allow the old can to act as a j-box or pull can. There is no universal answer.

Don't take it personally..every now and then, for whatever reason, people on the forums get wound up and combative for no reason.

Everyone take a time out and come back when you can behave. :grin:

And as for your original question which is on here somewhere, there are some variables involved. If the new can is the same or very close physical dimensions, sure you can disconnect the conduits from the old and attach them to the new. But in terms of time, it is usually faster to set the new can next to the old and run big conduits (or chase nipples if they can be right next to each other) and use the old as a j-box.

MX thank you very much that is exactly it, I am trying to make sure what I have been told by other estimators( not field guys) in the past is the best way of doing scope of work. I think you guys are the "REAL DEAL" and a lot of times and estimator, even the senior guys don't know what it takes to do a job. Believe me I know that if you estimated a job from a complete field perspective you would never get it because your price would be very high but I also know that I have heard of a lot of job not having particular scopes of work covered labor/$$ wise and even losing a lot of money on the job as a whole. I guarantee you that most of you guys on here could go into any large contractor and run circles around most of the estimators as far as electrical application/knowledge etc? Thanks again everyone for all your help throughout and slowly but surely I will get to the point that I know most stuff electrically......or close

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician

Thanks.
Thanks for your questions I've been learning from the answers. Some questions I don't ask on this forum because I think I'll get slammed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Some questions I don't ask on this forum because I think I'll get slammed.
Those questions are probably the ones you could find the answers for yourself, or at least so think the slammers. I recommend taking the risk if necessary.

Your customers won't know about the slamming, but they will know you have the right answers. That makes it worth it in my ever-so-humble opinion. :)

mxslick

Thanks for your questions I've been learning from the answers. Some questions I don't ask on this forum because I think I'll get slammed.

Don't be afraid to ask, as the only stupid question is the one you don't ask..and get burned later because you didn't.

Those questions are probably the ones you could find the answers for yourself, or at least so think the slammers. I recommend taking the risk if necessary.

Your customers won't know about the slamming, but they will know you have the right answers. That makes it worth it in my ever-so-humble opinion. :)

Amen Larry. :grin:

I like coming here even when I find out I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.