680-22 and 680-24 two inspectors 3 answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mh183

issue one . the outlet 6' to 20' away has an obvious purpose although a{6} explains the measurement is effected by floor wall and so on or other effective permanent barrier.
is this a dense row of bushes a knee wall or 8' fence for privacy and sound .
inspector one says follow the path the cord follows and measure that way.
inspector 2 says follow strait path even over 8' fence as long as path is less then 20' if some one uses extension cord to go around not my problem

issue two a deck box about 15' from the pool 10" above surface. possibly argued in walk way to motor and controls should this be protected with 4" *4" post or a bush. or take the point of view it is not in the walk way around the immediate pool area

your point of view would be appreciated

raider1

Staff member
issue one . the outlet 6' to 20' away has an obvious purpose although a{6} explains the measurement is effected by floor wall and so on or other effective permanent barrier.
is this a dense row of bushes a knee wall or 8' fence for privacy and sound .
inspector one says follow the path the cord follows and measure that way.
inspector 2 says follow strait path even over 8' fence as long as path is less then 20' if some one uses extension cord to go around not my problem

680.22(A)(5) says, "In determining the dimensions in this section addressing receptacle spacings, the distance to be meansured shall be the shortest path the supply cord of an appliance connected to the receptacle would follow without piercing a floor, wall, ceiling, doorway with hinged or sliding door, window opening, or other effective permanent barrier."

I would say that if the cord could go over the fence or hedge, then that is the shortest path.

issue two a deck box about 15' from the pool 10" above surface. possibly argued in walk way to motor and controls should this be protected with 4" *4" post or a bush. or take the point of view it is not in the walk way around the immediate pool area

your point of view would be appreciated

This would not be an NEC issue but a building code issue.

Chris

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
I would differ from Chris about the GP receptacle. The measurement is based on the appliance cord length, not an extension cord supplying the appliance. If you were to use an extension could you might have to consider a receptacle across the property line in someone elses yard. I could also say that I can throw a cord over a twenty foot fence. Does this mean that the fence is not an effective barrier?

eprice

I could also say that I can throw a cord over a twenty foot fence. Does this mean that the fence is not an effective barrier?

Yeah, but then your cord would need to be at least 40' long. :D Seriously though, If you can get a cord over the fence, and still reach between the pool and the receptacle with a 20' cord, the fence probably isn't high enough to really be a problem.

mh183

that is the essence of the question to be code compliant can gp outlet be behind a 8' high wall 20' long and 15' as the crow fly's

eprice

that is the essence of the question to be code compliant can gp outlet be behind a 8' high wall 20' long and 15' as the crow fly's

Well, when the code uses a qualifying adjective like "effective" to describe the barrier, that makes it necessary for someone (ahj) to make a judgment call on a case by case basis. Looking at the picture I have in my mind when I read your description of it, I would be inclined to say that the distance could be measured along the 15' "as the crow flies" route as long there isn't something else about the situation that would make it hard to route the cord that way.

mh183

you can throw the cord over the fence, i was reading the part of the article the states measure along the path that the cord will follow meaning the way you would walk to the outlet to plug something in

eprice

you can throw the cord over the fence, i was reading the part of the article the states measure along the path that the cord will follow meaning the way you would walk to the outlet to plug something in

It specifically says the path that the cord will follow, not the path that the person will follow when plugging in the cord. So if you can easily throw the cord over the wall, then walk around and plug it in, I think you can measure along the path that the cord follows up and over the wall.

eprice

what about the deck box some type of protection out in the yard

That one is too much of a judgment call to answer without being there, but I suspect it is probably not a code issue. It may very well be a tripping hazard/liability/insurance issue and should be marked by a post etc. but that is something that I wouldn't be able to require.

Status
Not open for further replies.