ic can lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

My first thought was the air tight cans would be much better because would keep the room and attic air from mixing, but then I started thinking maybe in summer you would want the heat from the lamp to go out but then on the other hand when the light if off the hot attic air will enter the house. Also in winter the ic would have to be better for keeping the heat inside. I still believe the air tight is the best , any comments.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Air tight is considered more energy efficient, and some of the energy codes require them.

In the summer, you will still loose cool air through any lights that aren't air tight. And the lights are probably turned off more often than they are on, so the heat contributed by the light itself proably isn't that much.

M4gery

Everytime the wind blows the attic will have positive air pressure which will enter into the house. That 100+ degree humid, dusty air is better left in the attic.

jetlag

thanks steve

thanks steve

Air tight is considered more energy efficient, and some of the energy codes require them.

In the summer, you will still loose cool air through any lights that aren't air tight. And the lights are probably turned off more often than they are on, so the heat contributed by the light itself proably isn't that much.

Great, something I figured out on my own is true and required in places , its on my own house and i will sure use the air tight. But I wonder why the non air tight needs the vents and they can just close them off on the air tight without it overheating . I dont see much difference in the design. Im going to use the eye ball trim and i think it is air tight no matter which can is used.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Great, something I figured out on my own is true and required in places , its on my own house and i will sure use the air tight. But I wonder why the non air tight needs the vents and they can just close them off on the air tight without it overheating . I dont see much difference in the design. Im going to use the eye ball trim and i think it is air tight no matter which can is used.

If they are IC (insulation contact) rated, I don't think the vents were intentionally made to vent the fixture, since that wouldn't do much good when the light gets covered with insulation.

Is it possible the "vents" you are seeing are just something left from the manufacturing process? Or maybe they are just cutouts made to save metal during manufacturing?

On the other hand, if you compare similar fixtures that are IC rated against ones that aren't IC rated, I think they often have different labels. A non-IC fixture may say "75W max", while an IC fixture might say "40 Watts Max"

jetlag

If they are IC (insulation contact) rated, I don't think the vents were intentionally made to vent the fixture, since that wouldn't do much good when the light gets covered with insulation.

Is it possible the "vents" you are seeing are just something left from the manufacturing process? Or maybe they are just cutouts made to save metal during manufacturing?

On the other hand, if you compare similar fixtures that are IC rated against ones that aren't IC rated, I think they often have different labels. A non-IC fixture may say "75W max", while an IC fixture might say "40 Watts Max"

stupid me i though the ic was for inclosed and the nic was for non inclosed and the ic was by design air tight, if you notice the are a lot holes slots etc in the nic but the ic has no openings in the can

mcclary's electrical

My first thought was the air tight cans would be much better because would keep the room and attic air from mixing, but then I started thinking maybe in summer you would want the heat from the lamp to go out but then on the other hand when the light if off the hot attic air will enter the house. Also in winter the ic would have to be better for keeping the heat inside. I still believe the air tight is the best , any comments.

It's an IRC requirement

http://publicecodes.citation.com/icod/irc/2009/icod_irc_2009_11_sec002_par027.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.