bonding lights at hot tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbwsparky

I was given the task of installing lights in a sitting wall within 4 feet of a concrete hot tub. There is a bonding grid consisting of a #6 solid copper wire connecting all the rebar in the area. The Luminaires we wii be Installed in a wall built with concrete block faced with stone. They are !20 volt recessed in this wall.The lights are made of aluminum. My question is do we need to bond these fixtures with the same type wire, and do I need to run an unbroken # 6 from each fixture to the #6 copper bonding whip they left above ground intended for this connection. Can I use copper split bolts for my connection. this is the only part of the project we will be doing in this area at this time

Buck Parrish

I was given the task of installing lights in a sitting wall within 4 feet of a concrete hot tub. There is a bonding grid consisting of a #6 solid copper wire connecting all the rebar in the area. The Luminaires we wii be Installed in a wall built with concrete block faced with stone. They are !20 volt recessed in this wall.The lights are made of aluminum. My question is do we need to bond these fixtures with the same type wire, and do I need to run an unbroken # 6 from each fixture to the #6 copper bonding whip they left above ground intended for this connection. Can I use copper split bolts for my connection. this is the only part of the project we will be doing in this area at this time

No #6, but, you must be 7' 6"'s above the water level. (For new installs)

rbwsparky

the switching will be controlled from inside the house with a radio ra system, so is bonging still required.I still am not clear on this. Is gfi protection all thats needed, or do these luminaires still need bonding?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
the switching will be controlled from inside the house with a radio ra system, so is bonging still required.I still am not clear on this. Is gfi protection all thats needed, or do these luminaires still need bonding?
Did you read the article I posted. The install is not compliant.

rbwsparky

This install is outdoors, there are lights going in the spa also. The contracters installed the niches for these fixtures when the pool was formed, and the AHJ approved them already. The fitures we are assigned to install are also used in walls for driveways, walkways,etc. These fixtures are made by Hadco and are considered weather proof.

rbwsparky

The walls are already built and the contractor is a bit of a know it all. This should be an interesting conversation. Thanks for all your replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks Dennis, but the GFI requirement still needs to be satisfied
Yes... if it falls in the area that requires GFCI. Obviously it is not compliant at 4'- if it were 5' then read 680.22(C)(4)-- between 5 and 10 feet from the tub must be gfci- in your situation.

rbwsparky

Thanks again Dennis. The original plans we had this wall should have been 12 ft from this area and the hot tub was connected to the pool, but when we came to lay some of the conduit nothing looked like the original layout. we left the jobsite and noticed the concrete trucks lining up at the driveway.
I'll try to get photos of this and post. The estimate on this project was $1.3 million

Status
Not open for further replies.