Kitchen Branch circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the code changed regaurding a standard refrigerator being on the 20 amp appliance circuits? ( not a sub- zero).
Also all of the tracts we have done let us use 14-3 for the disposal dishwasher, but I have an inspector that says I can't neither one draws 8 amps? :-?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Welcome aboard.

Refrigerators are allowed on the small appliance branch circuit - 210.52(B).

You may get some reasons from some of the other members here for not putting the dish or disposer on a 15A circuit, but barring any local amendments, it's not illegal-210.23.

guschash

I have started to put all my recpeptacles on 20 amp circuits. There are just too many appliances that are starting to draw more amps. Just as easy to run 12-2 as 14-2 and HO are happy when you explain to them.

gus

electricmanscott

I have started to put all my recpeptacles on 20 amp circuits. There are just too many appliances that are starting to draw more amps. Just as easy to run 12-2 as 14-2 and HO are happy when you explain to them.

gus

I think if you were to keep track more appliances are drawing less these days. I just did a kitchen the other day and was deciding how to feed the fridge. The nameplate shows 4.3 amp draw for a very good sized fridge. It would be silly and wasteful to put this on a 20 amp circuit by itself.

The only circuits I feed with 20's are the required counter use receptacles. The rest are 15's.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
210.52(b)(1) Exception No.2:

210.52(b)(1) Exception No.2:

210.52 (b)(1) Execption No.2:The3 Receptacle outlet for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.
thats the good news.
the bad news is the inspector is busting them on you,, unless its local Code

Thanks for the input I'm using the same codes you are and I believe you can use 80 percent on a 15 amp circuit. So A disposal that draws 8 amps for 30 seconds or a diswasher that draws 9 amps at its peak should be able to be put on a 15 amp circuit.

Kitchen circuits part 2

Kitchen circuits part 2

The inspector must have checked his code book out and found out that I was right! ( miracle must tell my wife i was right once) He didnt say a thing he just signed the card and put in arelease for the meter!

Status
Not open for further replies.