single phase motor wiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S'mise

Anyone know how to wire a single phase reversing motor from A.O. Smith?

Motor leads are; black, white, red and blue. I know white goes to L2, red and blue go to the capacitor, but how is it wired and which lead do you transpose to reverse?

model 332 p803 p/n 105-0028

Thanks, John

PS: I've only seen ones with blue red black and Yellow

S'mise

Figured out that red to hot is cw/ blue to hot ccw. But what is black wire for?
Thermal ol's?

Thanks in advance for any input.

John

S'mise

lightning strikes

lightning strikes

Ok, here's the story; Lighting took out my garage door opener last week.

The electronics got fried except the reciever portion of the pcb. Being the geek I am, I rewired it all with ice-cube relays and tapped into the reciever portion of the board so the remote would activate it.

Works like a dream.

I still don't know what the black wire is for. ?? (from motor) so I just taped it up.

Motor wire numbers are a nema standard so easy to figure out.
Some manufactures use their own colors and if you don't know them your basically screwed.

Thanks for everyones input and your wellcome to comment how much of a geek I am. :grin:

Ps: it's fused at 5amps so I'm not worried about burning the place down.

mxslick

Ok, here's the story; Lighting took out my garage door opener last week.

The electronics got fried except the reciever portion of the pcb. Being the geek I am, I rewired it all with ice-cube relays and tapped into the reciever portion of the board so the remote would activate it.

Works like a dream.

I still don't know what the black wire is for. ?? (from motor) so I just taped it up.

Motor wire numbers are a nema standard so easy to figure out.
Some manufactures use their own colors and if you don't know them your basically screwed.

Thanks for everyones input and your wellcome to comment how much of a geek I am. :grin:

Ps: it's fused at 5amps so I'm not worried about burning the place down.

Ok, here's my take on this:

It may be working but I wouldn't expect that motor to last long....or worse, that black wire was used in some way for the safety reverse or part of the thermal overload.

Your best bet to find out what the wire is/was for is to contact the mfgr. of the GDO and get a schematic. Some openers have a schematic pasted to the inside cover.

Finally don't count on that fuse to protect the motor from burning up. You may not burn the place down but could have it fail at any time, and it will be when it is pouring rain or snowing. :D

S'mise

motor overload

motor overload

Yes, Your right MX. I probably should contact manufacture to figure out what the black wire is for. But I'm not too worried about overload. It's "thermally protected"(inside motor) and is only 1/3hp. In fact when the opener failed, the motor was stuck on in the down direction for about 4 hours before I noticed it. Since then I've added a fuse to the circuit. As far as safety, it has a cam that senses pressure on the door track that I have wired to enable the "up circuit" I tested it to stop when closing on a cardboard box.

My hunch is that one of my relay contacts will fail before the motor does.

Status
Not open for further replies.