A Trade of work, Whats your worth??

Status
Not open for further replies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, Im all for helping some 'associates' and they helped me on some projects.

But I think Ive been under appreciated/valued here on a the latest project. I had done a garage calculation and gave him info on NEC code compliance.

He helped me with laying some drainage tube and around a house, (little bit of diggin) and investing a water leak. I had to finish the work myself, and find the leak on my own and repair it. I bought all the parts(tube and all) Apperantly he see's this as worth about $150 to $200.

He's trading my help with the garage with helping him helping me. If this was other work maybe it would be even trade, but me taking care of leaks and doing most of the diggin my self, I think is a bit much.

Im just venting a bit. But what would you charge for a garage 'consultation' ?? Remember I didnt actually hook up the garage for him, just gave him some info on how to do it, (I may have to help him in the future for this garage in the actual labor). He is pretty handy.

Split Bolt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I think Ive been under appreciated/valued here on a the latest project. I had done a garage calculation and gave him info on NEC code compliance.

He helped me with laying some drainage tube and around a house, (little bit of diggin) and investing a water leak. I had to finish the work myself, and find the leak on my own and repair it. I bought all the parts(tube and all) Apperantly he see's this as worth about $150 to $200.

He's trading my help with the garage with helping him helping me. If this was other work maybe it would be even trade, but me taking care of leaks and doing most of the diggin my self, I think is a bit much.

Im just venting a bit. But what would you charge for a garage 'consultation' ?? Remember I didnt actually hook up the garage for him, just gave him some info on how to do it, (I may have to help him in the future for this garage in the actual labor). He is pretty handy.

IMHO, sounds like a reciprocal relationship that will benefit both of you over the years. Hard to place numbers on that! You'll never be able to get EXACTLY even. Is it really that important?

wireguy8169

I agree with split bolt, if your looking for an even trade then maybe you should each bill for your work as you would normally then whatever the balance and whom ever it is with you settle up. As SB said sounds like a reciprocal relationship, and though you may do a bit more or they do a bit more at times it definitly is a good relationship and overall will be good in the end. That is unless you feel used (as it kinda sounds now) then you will just end up with one less contact.

This is done in business quite often, you know I give you product at a slightly lower price you give me more business and pass my name around and you do the same for me....

Jim W in Tampa

Its called bartering. I did it for many years while building houses. Best to agree first on what each other gets and gives. If he has a skill you need then it might be good idea to use him rather than pay the full price of that service

Hendrix

Bartering seldome works with trades and labor.

M4gery

Quarreling over this is exactly how you lose friends. If you can't be content with calling it even, then it's best not to use a friend.

FWIW, altho "consulting" and engineering for a customer can get you big bucks, in your friend's eyes it's just you giving him some advice. It's a lot easier than digging and doing grunt work in this heat, no?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have found that work trades with friends only works great under certain circumstances.

First, your friend has to have a skill set you will actually use.

Second, your friend has to have enough loyalty and ambition to actually pay you back.

Third, your motivation has to be helping the friend, not making a profit.

I do it all the time and it works great. I have a welder friend, a mechanic friend, a carpenter friend, a tree trimmer friend, a plumber friend, etc.

So far, we all think we have got the better ends of the deals which shows that my system works.

My system is based roughly on time for time, but all of us stopped keeping track years ago.

Now, if you have a bunch of pals that have no skills, no ambition and no money, all the loyalty in the world won't make an effective casual bartering system work. The only thing that will work is you.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Often (in fact today) someone will do me a small favor, repair, etc., and when I try to pay they say "no, you can do something for me sometime."

My stock answer is "let me pay you, I may not want to do something for you sometime."

Status
Not open for further replies.