Underground Cable Locator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I need to locate a cable that has been cut and damaged. The cable is from a LV transformer used for landscape lighting. The cable is being used to send 12 volts to another LV lighting transformer and the 12 volt signal is used to turn on the remote transformer with a relay.

I can't be sure but I suspect the cable is only a few inches deep. And since it was presumably cut during recent excavation work around the property (in several locations) it may be just below the surface. Where the cable was cut it must have shorted the two conductors together as there is continuity between them but no voltage when the source is turned on. The total run length is about 200 feet.

Do I need to get a cable locator? If yes, what would be a good choice?

mkgrady

just start pulling up the wire - it probably needs to be replaced anyway

What makes you say that? Replacing a 200 foot run in a nice lawn seems like a lot of work. If I were to dig a trench I would likely dig up numerous other cables and or sprinkler pipes.

I must admit, I'm surprised to get so little response to this question.

mkgrady

I decided to get the Amproble At 2005. It's expensive so I hope it finds this buried cable.

I placed an order yesterday on line (tequipment.net) in New Jersey and they just emailed me and said it will ship in two weeks. I figured I'd have it by Wednesday.

No way I will wait two weeks. Anybody know a place that stocks them?

zappy

From my understanding, when you use a expensive and very specialized tool, you need to charge extra just for using it.

dmagyar

Greenlee 2011

Greenlee 2011

I've got one of the Greenlee 2011's, using it as you've described will be a lost cause. I found out under dirt that it has a very short range. I couldn't trace a UG cable with 120 volts where it was buried by the landscaper under about 3-4". I can see why they're for sale on ebay for only $250. That said it will most of the time locate a c/b you're looking for.

What makes me mad is that we are the guinea pigs for companies that market to the electrical industry. Without this type of forum where among other things we can find out about test equipment, bad and mediocre products would otherwise just get passed to the unsupecting purchaser in this case an EC.

mkgrady

I've got one of the Greenlee 2011's, using it as you've described will be a lost cause. I found out under dirt that it has a very short range. I couldn't trace a UG cable with 120 volts where it was buried by the landscaper under about 3-4". I can see why they're for sale on ebay for only $250. That said it will most of the time locate a c/b you're looking for.

What makes me mad is that we are the guinea pigs for companies that market to the electrical industry. Without this type of forum where among other things we can find out about test equipment, bad and mediocre products would otherwise just get passed to the unsupecting purchaser in this case an EC.

I hope the AT2005 will work better than that. I'm paying about 1K for it.

JES2727

I decided to get the Amproble At 2005. It's expensive so I hope it finds this buried cable.

I placed an order yesterday on line (tequipment.net) in New Jersey and they just emailed me and said it will ship in two weeks. I figured I'd have it by Wednesday.

No way I will wait two weeks. Anybody know a place that stocks them?

I no longer deal with tequipment.net, for the very same reason you described. Promises about prompt delivery that turned out to be lies.
I did buy an AT2005 from them about 3 or 4 years ago, based on all the positive talk about that model on this forum, to locate a break in some underground wiring. It didn't work. For tracing circuits the $50 ideal that sells at home depot works just as well. I hope you have better luck.

hurk27

I have the 2011 also but I have had no problems tracing wires to about 16" underground when the soil is dry, one thing you don't do is just connect it to two of the conductors your tracing, for underground tracing and or path finding you only connect one of the transmitter wires to the bad conductor in the UF/landscape wires and connect the other to an isolated electrode that is in the ground at least 12", I use one of my snake bit extension shafts, and just push it into the ground about 24" away from the point I connect to the UF at.

I also have a Dynatell 2273, which will pin point the break, but your talking some big bucks for that type of equipment.

Also always check you batteries, both of these tracers will act crazy when the batteries get low.

and then there is the trusty old audio telco type tracer, which the receiver part will also act as a good follower for either of the above two transmitters.

mkgrady

I have the 2011 also but I have had no problems tracing wires to about 16" underground when the soil is dry, one thing you don't do is just connect it to two of the conductors your tracing, for underground tracing and or path finding you only connect one of the transmitter wires to the bad conductor in the UF/landscape wires and connect the other to an isolated electrode that is in the ground at least 12", I use one of my snake bit extension shafts, and just push it into the ground about 24" away from the point I connect to the UF at.

Does ANYBODY think the Amprobe AT 2005 will find this cable? It being LV lighting and only a few inches deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.