Old Zinsco panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse36

Today, I went to a residence to hook up a new hot tub for a customer. When I looked at the main panel, I discovered he had an old 100 amp Q type panel. The bus bar had signs of heat damage not to mention two branch circuits under one screw of a twenty amp breaker. I advised him that he should consider changing the panel. Have you guys had problems with these panels? I have not encountered to many Zinscos. I have read about many problems with them.

Hendrix

Today, I went to a residence to hook up a new hot tub for a customer. When I looked at the main panel, I discovered he had an old 100 amp Q type panel. The bus bar had signs of heat damage not to mention two branch circuits under one screw of a twenty amp breaker. I advised him that he should consider changing the panel. Have you guys had problems with these panels? I have not encountered to many Zinscos. I have read about many problems with them.
Sell him a 200a upgrade.

Split Bolt

I've seen plenty of them and never seen any heat damage. I have seen pictures of the damage you describe on the Internet though. ANY breaker that doesn't grip the bus bar tight will do this. My experiences with Zinsco have been just the opposite...too tight. I've had to use the rubber mallet on some 2-pole Zinscos to get them in! One quick observation I've noticed. Most suppliers won't carry them, but if you are working in an entire development that was wired with them, try the local mom & pop hardware store. They will have gotten so many requests over the years from homeowners that they end up stocking a good selection!

Jim W in Tampa

I am not hungry enough to add a big load like this to a zinsco. Are you testing your insurance ?
You say you know about the problems so what is question ?
Even if you do care to wire this up you need to do a load calc on any house with 100 amps

rt66electric

pass on the job

pass on the job

If you pass on the job, tell them they a 200 amp upgrade, at first they will think your gouging. but,

If you install the hot tub and the panel melts down. they will scream to the world that "your an idiot" and you willhave to install the 200 amp at you expense to save your good name.

If someone else melts down the service... they might call you to upgrade(then you are proven,that, your assesment is correct)

It BAFFLES me that people will spend $4000 on a tub, and $600 is to much to install??? and Why $100 is too much to spend on a gfci ????

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I have had many problems with burned buss bars and Zinsco.
I keep 100 a nd 125s on the truck.
I have buss bar kits too.
They always seem to fail at the worst times.
I replace panels when I can.

Split Bolt

If you pass on the job, tell them they a 200 amp upgrade, at first they will think your gouging. but,

If you install the hot tub and the panel melts down. they will scream to the world that "your an idiot" and you willhave to install the 200 amp at you expense to save your good name.

If someone else melts down the service... they might call you to upgrade(then you are proven,that, your assesment is correct)

It BAFFLES me that people will spend $4000 on a tub, and $600 is to much to install??? and Why $100 is too much to spend on a gfci ????

I once had a (retired) client call because his kids had all gotten together and purchased an outdoor hot tub for his birthday. I looked at job and gave him a quote. He couldn't believe it and thought I was ripping him off! He told me he was going to get some other bids. A few days later, he called me to thank me for my time, but he told his kids to get this thing the hell out of here!:grin:

Jesse36

I did pass up on the job until the customer upgrades. He called me today and said he is going to upgrade the panel. He is going with a 200a.

Status
Not open for further replies.