Estimating Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I know there are many programs out there but I am trying to decide between Turbo-Bid and Electrical Bid manager. Can I get some input from people who decided between the two. Both have things I like about them. I wish they were combined would be perfect.

EBM - Version

EBM - Version

EBM really depends on whether you are going to use the networked version or stand alone version. Key to ANY program for estimating is reliable cost loaded to currrent commodity pricing. We currently use the networked version of EBM, with someone assigned custody and controll of pricing updates.
I personally liked the older version of EBM (Stand Alone) as pricing for pipe & wire you had controls over and the ease of which assemblies could be built (Yours not the canned verisions that come with the program.) Also I could take estimate home and plug numbers into laptop.
The totally infuratiing thing with EBM is the location of materials, they attempted rhyme and reason but failed forturnately you can either quickly put a price and labor on the gidget you are looking for say (F-bar supports for old work box supports) the networked version ties EPIC for pricing updates and has a "Search" feature to find the materials.
You can sort a job seven different ways from Sunday if you have to break one down for bid form. All in all in is not a bad program, it just appears to be a program an accountant not an electrican contractor designed the data base.

laketime

What are you going to be estimating? Commercial or residential?

Mainly commercial up front. I have an excel spread sheet I use for residential right now but I am willing to make the transition. I liked the take off format of EBM better I think, but Turbo Bid has some cool business functions. Turbo Bid also will use your take off to put together a proposal which would save a lot of time for residential.

aptman3

I just started using Turbo Bid for the first time yesterday. I have never used estimating software before but I really like it. After a couple days I feel like I'm getting the hang of it. I can see that it takes time to customize the program for your individual use but after that it is simple and fast. The proposal form thing is definetly a pro.

cdslotz

I used EBM for years. It does have a nice takeoff format. I always liked the fixture and gear modules that print really nice BOM's for quoting.
We have been on Conest for several years now. At first, I hated it. It has no such modules for fixtures, etc. But, the audit trails are so easy to cut and paste to other breakdowns, or multiply typicals.
The EMB audit trail is very difficult to change and insert, or move items. In fact, I had trouble with the audit trail getting corrupted.
Conest is expensive, but EBM is a good program for the price and will probably serve you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.