SE/SER Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyman

I was told by an electrical inspector that SE/SER cable had to be sized using the 60 degree column of 310.16 unless it is the main service or feeder for a dwelling unit. I can not find any tempature limitation for SE/SER cable except for the terminals that I'm using and the conductors xhhw-2?

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

Under the 2008 NEC 338.10(B)(4)(a) was changed to require SE cable installed as interior wiring must comply with Part II of Article 334 including 334.80. 334.80 limits the temperature rating that can be used to find the ampacity of SE to the 60 degree column of 310.16.

Chris

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Your Code reference would be 338.10
That has been cussed/discussed at length here and you might want to enter "338.10" in SEARCH and review some of the threads.
Unfortunately different AHJ's approach the situation differently depending on how they address 338.10/215.2 and 310.15(B)(6).
In most of the areas I see the AHJ require the 60? rating for SE on interior installations.

jumper

I was told by an electrical inspector that SE/SER cable had to be sized using the 60 degree column of 310.16 unless it is the main service or feeder for a dwelling unit. I can not find any tempature limitation for SE/SER cable except for the terminals that I'm using and the conductors xhhw-2?

Welcome to the forum.

Here ya go:

338.10(B)
(4) Installation Methods for Branch Circuits and
Feeders.
(a) Interior Installations. In addition to the provisions
of this article, Type SE service-entrance cable used for interior
wiring shall comply with the installation requirements
of Part II of Article 334.

334.80 Ampacity. The ampacity of Types NM, NMC, and
NMS cable shall be determined in accordance with 310.15.
The ampacity shall be in accordance with the 60?C (140?F)
conductor temperature rating. The 90?C (194?F) rating
shall be permitted to be used for ampacity derating purposes,
provided the final derated ampacity does not exceed
that for a 60?C (140?F) rated conductor.

Okay, now Gus and Dennis can argue about 310.15(B).:grin:

jwelectric

338.10 Uses Permitted.
(A) Service-Entrance Conductors.
(4) Installation Methods for Branch Circuits and
Feeders.
(a) Interior Installations. In addition to the provisions of this article, Type SE service entrance cable used for interior wiring shall comply with the installation requirements of Part II of Article 334.

ARTICLE 334
Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable:

Types NM, NMC, and NMS
II. Installation

334.80 Ampacity.

The ampacity of Types NM, NMC, and NMS cable shall be determined in accordance with 310.15. The ampacity shall be in accordance with the 60?C (140?F) conductor temperature rating. The 90?C (194?F) rating shall be permitted to be used for ampacity derating purposes, provided the final derated ampacity does not exceed that for a 60?C (140?F) rated conductor. The ampacity of Types NM, NMC, and NMS cable installed in cable tray shall be determined in accordance with 392.11.

Where more than two NM cables containing two or more current-carrying conductors are installed, without maintaining spacing between the cables, through the same opening in wood framing that is to be fire- or draft-stopped using thermal insulation, caulk, or sealing foam, the allowable ampacity of each conductor shall be adjusted in accordance with Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) and the provisions of 310.15(A)(2), Exception, shall not apply.
Where more than two NM cables containing two or more current-carrying conductors are installed in contact with thermal insulation without maintaining spacing between cables, the allowable ampacity of each conductor shall be adjusted in accordance with Table 310.15(B (2)(a).

andyman

SE/SER cable

SE/SER cable

Thank you, I see the light! I was looking for a grey area in the 338 section of the 2008 and missed that 338.10(B)(4)(a). I was hopeing the inspector was wrong but wasn't counting on it. Thanks-Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.