3 way switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I encountered a strange situation with a 3 way switch. A receptacle was located near a three way switch. The two wires from the receptacle were connected to the two travelers on the nearby switch. Somehow this worked. The problem arose when I replaced a small junction box in the basement.

Once I had reconnected everything the receptacle only worked when the light controlled by the three way switches was on. When off, the receptacle would not function, HOWEVER; on checking the receptacle I found that the neutral was switched--not the hot.
I correct the problem by rewiring the receptacle to a different circuit. Any idea how this was originally wired?

hurk27

I encountered a strange situation with a 3 way switch. A receptacle was located near a three way switch. The two wires from the receptacle were connected to the two travelers on the nearby switch. Somehow this worked. The problem arose when I replaced a small junction box in the basement.

Once I had reconnected everything the receptacle only worked when the light controlled by the three way switches was on. When off, the receptacle would not function, HOWEVER; on checking the receptacle I found that the neutral was switched--not the hot.
I correct the problem by rewiring the receptacle to a different circuit. Any idea how this was originally wired?

Called a Chicago. California, and a few other place-3-way.
The hot and neutral are fed to the two travelers, and the light is fed to each common of each 3-way, this allows for a receptacle to be fed while also switching a light in two different locations, the problem is this also causes the shell to be hot when the 3-ways are in a certain positions, and can cause someone to be shocked when changing a lamp, so it is not allowed per the NEC, maybe someone will post one of the diagrams that has been posted on here before.

hurk27

I should say also called a farmers 3-way, as it was very popular on farms when feeding a 3-way light from the house to a barn or garage and provided a hot and neutral for receptacles, also very popular between an upstairs and downstairs for the same reason.

DHkorn

Thank you Hurk27.
I came across the same circuit feeding a fixture and receptacles in a garage with with only a 14/3 UF cable about 25 years ago. The 3-way had gone bad in the house and I didn't take the time to trace out the wiring before taking it apart because I figured re-wiring would be a snap.
Anyway, after spending an hour verifying everthing I told the lady there was no way it could have ever worked as a three way.
I put in a single pole switch and left.
Guess maybe I should look her up and apologize.

I had a situation where a friend complained that ever since their house had been remodeled, their hallway lights seemed to run half as bright as they used to.

In talking with them, I found that the contractor (not an electrician) added a 2nd light fixture to the circuit, as well as a 3rd switch.

I knew right away what the problem was; he had wired the new fixture in series with the old one, rather than in parallel.

My only concern was where the wiring mistake was located. I lucked out and was able to correct the problem by re-wiring at one of switches and one of the light fixtures (no attic crawling necessary).

The simple test was to see if removing either bulb caused the other one to go out. Of course, it did.

They lived with this for 5 years before bringing it to my attention!!!!
Although I could have fixed the problem without a meter, I thought it best to completely "ring out" the wires to be sure where everything was going.

480sparky

Calif3wayanim.gif

The shell goes hot 50% of the time. Its polarities reverse every time one of the 3-way switches is thrown. This is using 2 wires to create a 3-way switch loop. The neutral and hot are being swapped. So one way the white wire is neutral, then flip one 3-way and it's hot. Quite common many years ago. This is why neutrals were fused on early systems-a likelyhood of polarities becoming reversed. It's insanely dangerous and outdated. Better to tell customer why and give them a single-pole switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.