grow room requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky=t

any one done a grow room?, trying to determine the classification if any?, if so would it just be in the drying area?. had a company call in a collage town that has done work with out permit and is asking questions. I assume they have installed grow lights, fans and heaters in a 25k sq ft bldg with no calculations and is now asking if the city would be offended::roll:
also asked how a novice business owner would check to see if the master elect was doing the work to code :confused: inspection;). any insight into the requirements would be helpful, thanks

Npstewart

A grow room? A grow room must mean something different in your town then mine. Most people don't get a permit for the type of grow room im thinking about.

sparky=t

A grow room? A grow room must mean something different in your town then mine. Most people don't get a permit for the type of grow room im thinking about.

yes it is medical marijuana, they have to be up to snuff by 10/1 so I am told, as they will be monitored by big brother.:roll:

growler

any insight into the requirements would be helpful, thanks

The first requirement that comes to mind is to get a permit for the work.

That area may not even be zoned for a pot farm because it may be to close to a Taco Bell.

All joking aside the only way to stay legal is to back up an start getting the paperwork, permits and inspections in order. It's probably not a big deal if they just obey the law and make the proper permit applications.

sparky=t

I have done no work at this facility, I agree thay need to permit and follow all rules and regulations, have yet to do a site visit as I am waiting for the can you help call:grin: this industry seemed to try to get out in the front prior to bills and regulation was totally set up and now they are back pedaling to try and be compliant. thanks I will post more when I get the big call;)

Jupe Blue

The basement grow room I've seen in use had a 1000w lamp and two different exhaust fans. It was only about 8'x8'. Pumps were small like you would see in a residential decorative fountain. It had been wired on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. All equipment was 120v. It was close to overload (I think it was about 18-19 amps total).

I've seen plenty of evidence of old systems. They all seem to be wired on a 2 pole 30 amp breaker. Seems that the most common way is to use the dryer circuit to feed the equipment.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Heads up

Heads up

I talked with a very knowledgeable EC about doing 'growing rooms' since the recent passing of the medical marijuana act in Michigan.

He pointed out to me that marijuana was against federal law no matter what the states have decided. As such, he felt it prudent to let someone else be the players in a test case, i.e. state vs. federal, and then, and only then, would he even consider getting into the business of designing, building and maintaining grow rooms.

I think he is being very wise by taking that stance.

rodneee

potential headache

potential headache

I talked with a very knowledgeable EC about doing 'growing rooms' since the recent passing of the medical marijuana act in Michigan.

He pointed out to me that marijuana was against federal law no matter what the states have decided. As such, he felt it prudent to let someone else be the players in a test case, i.e. state vs. federal, and then, and only then, would he even consider getting into the business of designing, building and maintaining grow rooms.

I think he is being very wise by taking that stance.

great point...although in reality you are just wiring a greenhouse...and i am sure there are hundreds of them across the country...you have seen them built for people who grow exotic flowers...i don't think you would face legal charges...but the problems could be financial...example being, halfway through the job the GC gets a "stop work" order while the court system reviews the situation...you could end up waiting a long time to get paid....

renosteinke

I see two facets to this job, and most of you have touched on them.

The first is your duty to perform 'due dillegence.' That is, to ascertain, primarily by contact with the appropriate agencies, that the job is legal. With that issue settled, it's on to the technical aspects of the job.

Your job involves growing plants, which means that you will face two primary issues: light and moisture. Secondary issues revolve around heat and venting.

For lighting, expect there to be lots of lights, and various timers to control them. Light placement can be critical, as plants will 'bend' towards the light. There's a very good chance that HPS - the ugly yellow light- will be used.

If any sort of HID lighting is used, there will be significant heat generated, and you will want to stgger the switching times. If the site has 3-phase power, harmonics can be a concern.

Moisture presents itself as an issue in obvious (irrigation and water handling) as wll as less obvious ways. Each plant will 'exhale' about a cup of water into the air every day. This moisture, and the various fertilizers, etc., used, can create some areas that are corrosive - especially to aluminum "Bell" boxes. Any 'cool' spots will have condensation issues. Consider this especially when siting your controls and panels.

Remember that the inside of boxes on the outside walls will likely be where moisture condenses. You'll never be able to keep all this moisture 'out;' far better that you design everything to drain. This might mean you drill 1/8" 'weep' holes in bottom corners.

Codebook aside, I've seen a number of agricultural situations where "Romex" served in flexible applications better than SO cord. It appears that the rubber insulation quickly rots away, where the PVC/nylon of the NM does not. A typical application would be for a partion that gets swung aside for cleaning. Remember what I said about aluminum boxes? The same corrosion issues can eat up the jacket on MC.

All of this points to a need for an engineered HVAC arrangement. You'll likely have to power a variety of fans and the like.

All the above is equally true, whether you're growing tomatoes or "weed."

Then, lest we forget .... security. Plan on there being alarm wires and such run to everything.

growler

That area may not even be zoned for a pot farm because it may be to close to a Taco Bell.

With due respect to Bob's comment, this sentence simply must be explained. :confused:

Larry I was just joking about Taco Bell but even if you are wanting to grow flowers in a green house there may be zoning issues. If this were an agricultural type college they would probably have green houses on the property that could be used.

I find it best just to start a the beginning and see if there are any problems that may arise.

There is much more to most jobs than just electrical issues. What happens to all the waste water in such a venture. There will be fertilizer and pesticides. There are lots of issues that may come up when they apply for a permit.

sparky=t

thank you for the response, seems that after research and talking to an engineer of a person who I have done legitimate work for previously, most of the growers in this area have traded out work and are not up to par, when asking questions I was told that the previous guy (non licensed contractor) was going to do the work for free, when I questioned the customer he admitted that in trade!....this is after contacacting the city of boulder and the engineer of record!!

STONERS RULE (in boulder co) :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.