Wall switch location? dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

Actually for switches it's max 48" measured to the top of the box and for receptacles it's no lower than 15" measured to the bottom of the box. Both measurements are AFF.

These numbers changed in the last IBC.

I hope there is nothing in NEC about 48 to top of switch box because I wire mine 48 to bottom of box .

kwired

Electron manager
Can I ask what the heights are? this question of location has appeared on here before and to make it short you can put a switch for a light any where in the house you want with no code violation. You can put the switch for the back porch light by front door if you want

One place comes to mind: within tub or shower spaces.

Otherwise no NEC violation, ADA or other codes if they apply, may have requirements that are not in the NEC.

mlnk

So do we all agree on ADA: 15" to bottom of box or 19" to top of box for receptacles. 48" max to top of box for switches and perhaps a minimum of 36" O.C. ? Another reason for my preference for 42" height besides the drywall mud is the lower switches allow children to easily reach the switches. Any ideas on the 40" countertop problem?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
So do we all agree on ADA: 15" to bottom of box or 19" to top of box for receptacles. 48" max to top of box for switches and perhaps a minimum of 36" O.C. ? Another reason for my preference for 42" height besides the drywall mud is the lower switches allow children to easily reach the switches. Any ideas on the 40" countertop problem?

I always put mine at 42" also, mostly because if I walk into a room the natural place that my hand lands is right there.:)

kwired

Electron manager
What if it's within a tub area that has no shower :confused:

404.4 Damp or Wet Locations.

A surface-mounted switch or circuit breaker in a damp or wet location shall be enclosed in a weatherproof enclosure or cabinet that shall comply with 312.2. A flush-mounted switch or circuit breaker in a damp or wet location shall be equipped with a weatherproof cover. Switches shall not be installed within wet locations in tub or shower spaces unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly.

I would say you need to determine if it is a wet location or not. Most of would agree even if it is not a wet location, if it can be placed away from this area it would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.