License and Permits in New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

dereckbc

Staff member
Hey NJ friends I got a question or two for you. This weekend is my High School Reunion in Tulsa OK. Ran into an ole friend who I have not seen in 30 years who lives in NJ and owns=operates his own roofing company. We were talking business in general and I asked how things were up in NJ for him. He said really great right now because of NJ State incentives for residential Solar PV systems of $5 per watt. Ok I knew about that, but then I asked a couple of questions of how he got into it. I asked if he hired an electrician or contracted with an electrician to pull the permits, do the electrical portion of the work, and pass final inspection. To my amazement he said you do not need a licensed electrician to pull the permits, or do the work. He went even further and said homeowners can pull the permits and do the work themselves if they can pass inspection.

I was shocked as I have done a fair amount of commercial work in places like Newark, Elizabeth, Carteret and surrounding areas and know darn good and well not to even think of not using a licensed contractor in that area.

So my questions are:
  • Residential Electrical work in NJ does not require a license?
  • Or is just some rural counties?
  • What am I missing?

Dave also said a lot of out of state PV firms from NY are getting into the act in NJ to take the government money. I know this guy is not full of it, but now I am confused.

M4gery

A homeowner can do work on his single family house without a license, but he is required to pull a permit and get inspections just like if he was a contractor.

If your roofer friend is having the homeowner pull the permit and he does the work, that is illegal. Only the homeowner can do the work, you can't have the homeowner pull a permit in order to circumvent licensing.

dereckbc

Staff member
A homeowner can do work on his single family house without a license, but he is required to pull a permit and get inspections just like if he was a contractor.
Is that state wide or just some jurisdictions? I know a lot of cities and municipalities require any electrical work to be performed by licensed electricians. I assumed NJ would requires a license. Guess I am wrong?

If your roofer friend is having the homeowner pull the permit and he does the work, that is illegal.
I do not know if he is doing that or not. Not my state of residence or any of my business. I was just curious.

M4gery

Is that state wide or just some jurisdictions? I know a lot of cities and municipalities require any electrical work to be performed by licensed electricians. I assumed NJ would requires a license. Guess I am wrong?
It's state wide. AFAIK, many states are like this.

What cities or municipalities in NJ do you know that require a license?
I do not know if he is doing that or not. Not my state of residence or any of my business. I was just curious.

I was just answering.

dereckbc

Staff member
What cities or municipalities in NJ do you know that require a license?
I do not know, that is why I asked. I do know when I have done work (commercial) around Newark it required licensed electricians to perform all work. I assumed residential would also. :)

mpd

as was already said, a homeowner is permitted to do electrical work on his own dwelling only (must be where he lives) when a homeowner pulls a permit he is not permitted to sub it out to an unlicensed person, he or she or a family member must perform the work

many unlicensed contractors take advantage of homeowners & the law by convincing the homeowner to sign for the electrical work, it is illegal & falsifying a document that is subject to a fine, this law is the entire state, there is no local ordinance that would override it.

jumper

as was already said, a homeowner is permitted to do electrical work on his own dwelling only (must be where he lives) when a homeowner pulls a permit he is not permitted to sub it out to an unlicensed person, he or she or a family member must perform the work

many unlicensed contractors take advantage of homeowners & the law by convincing the homeowner to sign for the electrical work, it is illegal & falsifying a document that is subject to a fine, this law is the entire state, there is no local ordinance that would override it.

Ditto for VA also.

brian john

Hey NJ friends I got a question or two for you. This weekend is my High School Reunion in Tulsa OK. Ran into an ole friend who I have not seen in 30 years who lives in NJ and owns=operates his own roofing company. We were talking business in general and I asked how things were up in NJ for him. He said really great right now because of NJ State incentives for residential Solar PV systems of $5 per watt. .

Dave also said a lot of out of state PV firms from NY are getting into the act in NJ to take the government money. I know this guy is not full of it, but now I am confused.

Setting up a false economy that will be sure to stifle real economic turn around at the tax payers expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.