labeling of GFCI protected receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question came up about whether GFCI receptacles are required to be labeled with the stickers that come in the box with the device. I was under the impression that the device "spoke" for itself. Is it required by code?

growler

A question came up about whether GFCI receptacles are required to be labeled with the stickers that come in the box with the device. I was under the impression that the device "spoke" for itself. Is it required by code?

Not the GFCI receptacle it's self but the regular receptacles that are protected down stream should be labeled.

Don't worry after the inspection those all get pulled off anyway.:grin:

They do about as much good as the "no equipment ground" stickers.

Speaking of labels I went to a house the other day where the panel was marked but in Spanish, this was great for the tenant but I don't read Spanish. When are they going to require panels to be marked in 47 different languages?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Look at art.406.3(D)(3)(c). Otherwise you are fine without stickers-- at least I never use them.

406.3(D)(3) (b) A non?grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be replaced with a ground-fault circuit interrupter-type of receptacle(s). These receptacles shall be marked ?No Equipment Ground.? An equipment grounding conductor shall not be connected from the ground-fault circuit-interrupter-type receptacle to any outlet supplied from the ground-fault circuit-interrupter receptacle.
(c) A non?grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be replaced with a grounding-type receptacle(s) where supplied through a ground-fault circuit interrupter. Grounding-type receptacles supplied through the ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be marked ?GFCI Protected? and ?No Equipment Ground.? An equipment grounding conductor shall not be connected between the grounding-type receptacles.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I never put them on (other than 406.3.D.3.c requirement.) In the last 10 years I have only had an inspector ask one time for them. You've either done it right or not. Stickers are meaningless. Come across a few that have had the stickers and not been protected.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I put the stickers on one time and the cleaning people removed them just before the inspector showed; he said the owner would do the same and let it fly.

Hendrix

I sell an electric branding iron of sorts that states the same thing as the stickers :grin::grin:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Stickers are not required for a downstream grounded receptacle protected by a GFCI.

pfalcon

Stickers are nonsense. The branding iron makes more sense. If it's not a permanent marking then it won't stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.