Appliances connected to Relocatable Power Taps

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

Just some 'I was there at the time' information ...

Regardless of whatever the 'fine print' might lead you to infer, the listing of power strips has always been a rocky road for UL. Let me explain why ...

For the longest time, UL refused to have ANY listing of anything resembling the common power strip. Not that the strips were without value; during those years there were hundreds of the things used within UL. I suppose what got there attention was when some metal-case units were found to not have the cases bonded .... that, and the amount of time spent in some departments 'making' such strips using 4-square boxes and 'industrial' covers.

The specific problen that UL had with listing the things was caused by the following line of reasoning: They are likely to be used in commercial settings (even an office is a commercial setting) .... they are simply 'plugged in' by anyone .... they are likely to become 'permanent' (as in, used for more than 90 days) ... which therefore means that you could very easily violate NEC restrictions on the number of receptacles per circuit.

So, when UL finally did see the need to 'list' such products, it was with the stipulation that they be constructed so that it was not easy to 'permanently' mount them. Several 'premium' power strips had to be redesigned because they had hardware that UL deemed too 'user friendly.' The inacessible slot on the back, that would allow you to 'hang' the unit, but not to tighten the screw down, was allowed.

Plugmold, etc., continued to be listed as the installation and specific code provisions implied that they would be installed by someone competent, rather than just 'plugged in' by the secretary.

That's where things stood, until the 'computer revolution' hit and very similar products were listed as 'surge suppressors.'

Status
Not open for further replies.