NM Cable for Temp Light & Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

icefalkon

A foreman was asked today about why he used these plastic hooks to support runs of temp wiring on the jobsite. These things are what normally would be used to lace control wires in say a big starter...they look like the letter b...

Normally we use ceramic "victor splits" for this support but the foreman said they cost too much (at $1.60 a pair!) and that's why he's using these.

I'm curious as to what others are using outside of NY for the support of temp lighting and power on jobsites...

icefalkon

Here in NYC we have an Amendment stating that the supports must be, "...substantial, non-combustible, non-absorptive, insulating, and non-metallic."

Drag line isn't substantial, nor is it non-combustible...tie wire is metallic, as are ceiling supports...so that won't work here...nylon tape falls into the "substantial" category...

Tie wraps we've considered in the past but for some reason that got shot down. I've heard that there's a product that's similar to a mae west, but made of plastic? Have any of you guys ever heard of something like this?

Jim W in Tampa

Here in NYC we have an Amendment stating that the supports must be, "...substantial, non-combustible, non-absorptive, insulating, and non-metallic."

Drag line isn't substantial, nor is it non-combustible...tie wire is metallic, as are ceiling supports...so that won't work here...nylon tape falls into the "substantial" category...

Tie wraps we've considered in the past but for some reason that got shot down. I've heard that there's a product that's similar to a mae west, but made of plastic? Have any of you guys ever heard of something like this?

NY always wants to be differant

icefalkon

LOL I know Jim...I know! Apparently the AHJ also wants whatever you use to hang the NM to be "listed for it's use and to be able to hold a minimum of 20lbs". Now I know this is because of other trades "yanking" their cords out of the laundry drops...but where the heck are you supposed to find something listed for that? Porcelain insulators are $1.60 a pair right...and if you've got a job to run temp light and power on a 10 story building, I would think you'd add the T&M for a long lasting product like that into the bid...

Status
Not open for further replies.