non reversable grd. clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

Does anyone know where to get a ground clamp. My ufer ground was cut . number four solid copper. This connection will be buried. I am not typing. I am speaking this message to my phone in the field.

Buck Parrish

Thanks for the info. I don't know why but i was thinking it had to be listed for the grounding. Sounds like a regular underground splice kit will work

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks for the info. I don't know why but i was thinking it had to be listed for the grounding. Sounds like a regular underground splice kit will work
You are correct that the splice has to be listed for bonding and grounding for this application. Some compression butt splices are so listed and some are not.
250.64(C)(1) Splicing shall be permitted only by irreversible compression-type connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment or by the exothermic welding process.

Buck Parrish

Thanks, Don ... Probably got different alloys in the metal or some thing.

My local supply house said they didn't know of any. But they may have it and not know it.
I didn't get a chance to look to hard today. I'll look tommorow...

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
This has always seemed like a bit of a loop-hole to me and please tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the only place the requirements of 250.64 apply are on that single conductor from the disconnecting means. The connections between the electrodes are covered by 250.68 which is a bit less restrictive. It requires a listed connection, but not a connection listed for grounding.

My point in the OP's case is that I think he's met the requirements if he attaches the cut UFER ground to the rest of the GES with any listed connection and has an unbroken GEC from the main disconnect to any point on the GES.

Mark

Buck Parrish

This has always seemed like a bit of a loop-hole to me and please tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the only place the requirements of 250.64 apply are on that single conductor from the disconnecting means. The connections between the electrodes are covered by 250.68 which is a bit less restrictive. It requires a listed connection, but not a connection listed for grounding.

My point in the OP's case is that I think he's met the requirements if he attaches the cut UFER ground to the rest of the GES with any listed connection and has an unbroken GEC from the main disconnect to any point on the GES.

Mark

Thanks for the response. This ufer is the entire GES.

busman

Occupation
Well. That makes it interesting. Is the tail piece of conductor part of the GES or the GEC?? I don't know. I would guess it's part of the GEC. However, I think you could meet the requirement (technically) by adding a ground rod, attaching the UFER tail to the ground rod with a listed connection, and then attach the GEC to the new GES at any point. Sounds stupid, but I think it would meet code.

Mark

Buck Parrish

Well. That makes it interesting. Is the tail piece of conductor part of the GES or the GEC?? I don't know. I would guess it's part of the GEC. However, I think you could meet the requirement (technically) by adding a ground rod, attaching the UFER tail to the ground rod with a listed connection, and then attach the GEC to the new GES at any point. Sounds stupid, but I think it would meet code.

Mark

Thats a good ideal.
The rebar I guess is my GES- (Grounding Electrode System) The number 4 would be my GEC.

If I install one ground rod, the inspector might want two. ;)
But I am going to try it. That's my easiest out. And in my opinion the best. Because I will still have a grd rod connection. I'll just put two clamps.

busman

Occupation
I wouldn't run too fast to implement my crazy idea. I'm sure someone here will find a hole in my brilliant plan.

Best of luck,

Mark

Buck Parrish

I've all ready made the install. Thanks for the simple logic. I'll try to post a pic. (later)
I put three acorns on it. Since the comunications are about 15 ft away from the main. I ran a #6 over to them under ground.

Buck Parrish

Okay Bussman if you check your old post. You will see. Your ideal worked out very well.
Since this is a stucko house. I also utilized the grd. rod to run a #6 over to the phone and cable.
Since no grd. rods ae required with a ufer.

I drove one grd rod. I spliced the cut ufer to it with an acorn. Then my #4 to my 320 meter ( I know 6 would have been okay)
I sleeved the #4 grd. wire to help prevent theft. #6 might have required protection.
This entire area will be covered by at least a foot of soil. I did use a liitle anti ox. ( I know an over kill) right?
Here is a very short video , turn volume up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tRq_az4xBE
The bucket is just so the inspector can acess it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.