IR thermometer scan through metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Will an IR thermometer scan through metal.
I am installing new 500 watt halogen pendant lights by "Prescolite" and it using 20 gauge conductors in it. I am thinking about scanning into the back (top) of the light behind the heat shield with an IR thermometer.

Thank you,

Len

IR

IR

Cannot scan through anything. Converts temperatures to colors. Will not see through glass. Glass reflects back, you will see yourself and what is around you.

e57

Cannot scan through anything. Converts temperatures to colors. Will not see through glass. Glass reflects back, you will see yourself and what is around you.
Did not say it was accurate.... In fact that is what I was pointing out. Nor do I believe we were talking about a Flir camera per say, but IR thermometers... BTW - the last item between the sensors of an IR camera, or thermometer and the item being measured is glass... ;)

68_03_200p.jpg

FWIW

How it Works

Infrared thermometers measure the surface temperature
of an object. The unit?s optics sense emitted (E),
reflected (R), and transmitted (T) energy, which is
collected and focused onto a detector. The unit?s
electronics translate the information into a temperature
reading which is displayed on the unit. The laser is

used for aiming purposes only.

And items that accurate measurements will be difficult on....

Reminders

Not recommended for use in measuring shiny
or polished metal surfaces (stainless steel,
aluminum, etc.). See Emissivity.​

​
The unit cannot measure through transparent
surfaces such as glass. It will measure the
surface temperature of the glass instead.

​
Steam, dust, smoke, etc., can prevent accurate

measurement by obstructing the unit?s optics.

Will an IR thermometer scan through metal.
I am installing new 500 watt halogen pendant lights by "Prescolite" and it using 20 gauge conductors in it. I am thinking about scanning into the back (top) of the light behind the heat shield with an IR thermometer.

Thank you,

It will read whatever the radiated heat will transfer from the heat source onto the can and whatever materials maybe between it. The heat shield is usually refer to items that are designed to block radiated heat.

brian john

If the item under the metal is hot enough, heat transfer will allow you to know a thermal issue exist, but by then the panel (or waht ever) is in the fiinal stages of melt down.

Status
Not open for further replies.