Bent Service Mast

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
In the last month, I've found two bent service masts while doing other work. One was bent about 15 degrees the other about 25 degrees. Both with the bend at the roof-line and in the direction of the service drop. Pretty obvious that tree limbs must have hit the drop and bent the mast. Couldn't access the attic in either case to determine if there is a kink in the 2" rigid.

Question is, what's keeping the mast from going all the way over? Is this common? I would have thought that once it started to bend, it would just keep going. Also, any experiences with them going all the way over. It must be quite a light show when the mast crimps the service conductors.

Thanks for any insight. I'm having trouble convincing the owners that these need to be replaced. They say "Ahh, it's been like that for a long time".

Mark

pete m.

Not knowing if the mast has a kink in it, the code only requires "adequate strength". I have seen mast pipes with off-sets bent in them many times to clear obstructions. If there is no kink in the rigid I'm not sure that the structural integrity of the mast has been compromised.

As far as convincing someone that they need replaced they obviously haven't seen the "light show" yet....

Pete

Jim W in Tampa

I have a 15 degree one on mine but not doing nothing as mast does not hold the drop. Assume yours does. Lot depends on how far up the drop is attached and how long drop is as per weight. You might point out to them the next tree limb will have a far better chance of finishing the job now that it is started. Customers never want to spend money for things like this. Might also point out that it will be far more costly at 3 AM on a Sunday

jetlag

In the last month, I've found two bent service masts while doing other work. One was bent about 15 degrees the other about 25 degrees. Both with the bend at the roof-line and in the direction of the service drop. Pretty obvious that tree limbs must have hit the drop and bent the mast. Couldn't access the attic in either case to determine if there is a kink in the 2" rigid.

Question is, what's keeping the mast from going all the way over? Is this common? I would have thought that once it started to bend, it would just keep going. Also, any experiences with them going all the way over. It must be quite a light show when the mast crimps the service conductors.

Thanks for any insight. I'm having trouble convincing the owners that these need to be replaced. They say "Ahh, it's been like that for a long time".

Mark

There are a lot of things that causes the mast to usually stop in the 0-45 deg range and I have repaired a few and none had a noticable kink. When the tree or limb is falling fast it has a lot of momentum but slows down when it meets resistance from the mast. as it comes to a stop all is lost but the weight of the limb. The next thing is when the tree first hits the drop the cable is fairly tight , pulling sideways on a tight wire puts tremendous pressure on the wire and supports , as the mast bents the drop begins to sag and the pressure on everthing is reduced the more it sags. In spite of all this a really heavy tree will take the mast on down till it is 90 deg and/or break the drop. Hope this helps. I doubt the mast has lost any strength much at 25 deg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.