Arc Fault Breaker and 3 wire branch circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

lu302dan

I want to install arc fault breakers for my home but all of the branch circuits are 3 wire with ground (2 ckts sharing one noodle!) Have they figured out a way yet to implement a 2 pole arc fault breaker to resolve this issue?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I want to install arc fault breakers for my home but all of the branch circuits are 3 wire with ground (2 ckts sharing one noodle!) Have they figured out a way yet to implement a 2 pole arc fault breaker to resolve this issue?
There are a few brands that make a combination dp arc fault that will work. Ge has one and I believe Cutler Hammer not sure who else.

480sparky

Seimens.

2-pole-CAFCI.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I believe they are made by some mfr's. Bring money !;)

Wow! You are not kidding. I looked at a GE Catalog, of course those are LIST prices, but a 2P20 standard breaker is $46 list, a 2 pole AFCI is $ 385

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
No. But again, that is LIST prices out of the GE BuyLog.
It might not be as bad as I thought, however, the plug in THQL1120AF2 single pole AF shows a list of $300, so $ 385 for a two pole might not end up being too drastic wholesale.
The on-line price I have for a local supplier does not list the contractor cost for a two pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.