switches in bath rms

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Switches
404.4 Damp or Wet Locations.

A surface-mounted switch or circuit breaker in a damp or wet location shall be enclosed in a weatherproof enclosure or cabinet that shall comply with 312.2. A flush-mounted switch or circuit breaker in a damp or wet location shall be equipped with a weatherproof cover. Switches shall not be installed within wet locations in tub or shower spaces unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly.

dcooper

So it may be a building code violaton but not an electrical code violation........ I'm not happy about the where these switches ended up, poor coordination on the GC 's part but if it is not a code violation then I am not worried about it.

jetlag

Switches

A surface-mounted switch or circuit breaker in a damp or wet location shall be enclosed in a weatherproof enclosure or cabinet that shall comply with 312.2. A flush-mounted switch or circuit breaker in a damp or wet location shall be equipped with a weatherproof cover. Switches shall not be installed within wet locations in tub or shower spaces unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly.

I made a post one time so I could advise someone and no one mentioned 312.2 . A relative could not gt an electrician to install the switch in the bath because he said was in 6 ft of tub. The replies here said switch could be 1/4 ''from tub if wanted or even 1/16 '' . Would that have been damp location and require w/ p cover. The switch was to be by door at least 4 ' from tub . That must not be considered damp. Either way the electrician could have put on GFCI circuit , wouldnt that eleminate need for w/p cover ? no one would want that cover in bath

480sparky

I made a post one time so I could advise someone and no one mentioned 312.2 . A relative could not gt an electrician to install the switch in the bath because he said was in 6 ft of tub. The replies here said switch could be 1/4 ''from tub if wanted or even 1/16 '' . Would that have been damp location and require w/ p cover. The switch was to be by door at least 4 ' from tub . That must not be considered damp. Either way the electrician could have put on GFCI circuit , wouldnt that eleminate need for w/p cover ? no one would want that cover in bath

What does 312 have to do with switches & GFIs?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The switch was to be by door at least 4 ' from tub . That must not be considered damp. Either way the electrician could have put on GFCI circuit , wouldnt that eleminate need for w/p cover ? no one would want that cover in bath
The bathroom itself is not a wet or damp location. The switch can be right next to the shower but not within the tub or shower space unless it is listed as part of the tub.

Things change with a hot tub but not for a hydromassage tub or a standard tb/shower.

jetlag

thanks dennis

thanks dennis

The bathroom itself is not a wet or damp location. The switch can be right next to the shower but not within the tub or shower space unless it is listed as part of the tub.

Things change with a hot tub but not for a hydromassage tub or a standard tb/shower.

That was answer I wanted that bath itself is not wet or damp, I was getting worried because I caused the electrician to move the switch into bath and I didnt want him to come back with damp location and needs w/p cover the relative wouldnt want. I got confused why sparky started the post about the w/p cover then ask me what it had to do with it

Last edited:

480sparky

I am trying to find out ,you are the one that made the post 312.2 about flush mounted switches

I did?

I know my memory's not what it used to be, but if you could enlighten me as to that, I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and my memory isn't what it used to be.

jetlag

Switches

There was no need to bring this up a bath is not considered a wet or damp location. the code was 404.4 upon reading it I thought 312.2 was for the second half of the wording . My mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.