Emergency Ballast (Bodine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gategator37

I have an emergency ballast that does a self check every month. After the self test the audible warning continues to go off but the ballast is fuctioning properly. Is it against the code to disconnect this audible alarm if I have a visual indicator that is visible from the floor? Thanks guys.

bobsherwood

Did you test that the batteries will keep the light burning for 90 minutes? That might be the reason for the alarm. If the ballast is telling you it's failed, it's probably correct.

Gategator37

Yes the batteries are fine. I did the test and they burn past the 90 minute mark. Do you believe there is a code prohibiting me from disconnecting the audible if the visual is functioning properly?

bobsherwood

I think... only think! That is will also blink when the audible is disconnected. So, I think it's okay to disable that part of the self test. We have self test ballast in class rooms and do not use the audible signal. Problem might be, if the ballast thinks there is a problem, it's gonna continue to give a sign. Disconnecting all signal defeats having self test.. IMO

Gategator37

Thanks for you help and I understand what you are saying. I will let the manufacturer know of this problem and tell me the possible options.

mxslick

From the posted link:

> To disarm audible alarm, cut red/white wire loop (CAP ENDS).

So it would appear that the OP can disable the audible without violation as it is something clearly allowed per manufacturer's instructions.

But here's something to check out first:

Should the unit detect an unusual current or voltage condition, the indicator light will flash and the internal audible alarm will sound.

So there may be another issue in the power to that lighting circuit that should be investigated.

Or this could be the problem:

This unit contains a control/monitor circuit that automatically performs a 30-second discharge test every 30 days, and a full 90-minute discharge test once a year. During routine testing, the self-testing emergency ballast simulates an AC power failure causing the unit to automatically switch to emergency mode. The unit will monitor the operation of the lamps, battery voltage, discharge current, and emergency duration. If the emergency system functions properly, then the unit will return to normal mode. Should the unit detect any problems, the indicator light will flash continually and the audible alarm will sound 4 times every 30 seconds until the condition has been corrected or the unit passes the next test.
To reset a failure indication, push and hold the test switch for a minimum of 15 seconds. If the condition has not been corrected by the next scheduled test, the unit will once again detect the failure and signal the failure indicator.

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

I know they are costly but i would never remove a safety feature even with mfgr ok without getting a waiver signed. Why not just let customer foot the bill unless we are talking several of them.
Customers are always ready to save a buck till something goes wrong and then they play stupid and say you never warned them

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
The failure may not be in the battery but in the "self test" mechanism, and that might be why it is telling you it has a problem. I agree with Jim, don't tamper with a factory safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.