Ground rod at Exterior Light Pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gategator37

If a lightning strike can generate over 200,000 volts what is the point of a ground rod that can only dissipate about 6,000 volts?

480sparky

As i said, in post #4, different specs, but not code AFAIK.

Am I wrong?

No, you just have different EEs. They're pretty much SOP around here. I try to save the customer money be giving them the option of not installing them, but they're bound & determined it's gonna save 'em millions of dollars.

Gategator37

I do a lot of design reviews and never commented on the issue because I know it can't do any harm, I just don't see the upside too it. I see it as wasting money, especially when there are several pole lights

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
With ground rods a lot has to do with soil conditions etc. Obviously the lower the ohms the better the rod. Theoretically it is suppose to help with lightning strikes, surges, etc and it may help some in some areas but generally they are a waste because of the high resistance. Heck the pole is probably a better rod then the rod. :)

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Bonded (Bonding). Connected to establish electrical continuity and conductivity.

How do you bond something that really has poor conductivity?

I understand bonding/grounding.

It does not say excellent conductivity just conductivity.

Just look at some of the bonding jumpers in exhibit 250.29.

mcclary's electrical

A ground rod driven on average here is about 80 ohms to ground.

There's no way it is helping much compared to an already far superior ground of a huge chunk of concrete and rebar in touch with the earth.

But, keep in mind lighting takes all available paths, who's to say it doesn't help "a liitle tiny, tiny, bit"

It would be hard to prove it.

Ragin Cajun

Where I used to work they had an incident at a ball park where the hot leg came in contact with the pole but didn't trip the breaker and a kid got hurt. Since then they made VERY sure that the pole was solidly grounded. Lawyers and all that. Now I simply bond the pole to the rebar.

I have seen in Fla. where there are lightning rods, etc. at the top of tall poles.

RC

mcclary's electrical

Where I used to work they had an incident at a ball park where the hot leg came in contact with the pole but didn't trip the breaker and a kid got hurt. Since then they made VERY sure that the pole was solidly grounded. Lawyers and all that. Now I simply bond the pole to the rebar.

I have seen in Fla. where there are lightning rods, etc. at the top of tall poles.

RC

an extra ground rod does not facilitate the tripping of the OCPD

Gategator37

The u-bolts that connect to the rebar in the pole base supplies a better ground than the actual ground rod is what I can recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.