Propane Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

What does the NEC have to say about placing an emergency back up generator near a propane tank. Tank will be about 5' from generator.

tedge

I'm not sure that the NEC says anything about it.

Our local gas company has a 10' minimum from any point of flash (generator) to the tank.

rodneee

What does the NEC have to say about placing an emergency back up generator near a propane tank. Tank will be about 5' from generator.

our most common install is a 200 gallon lp tank...we locate it 20 feet from the generator and 6 feet from the building...never had an issue, although one local building inspector required a small fence around the tank...

renosteinke

This is an 'engineering decision' to be made, as the NEC says, by a 'competent professional.' (At one time the NEC defined such a person as a licensed PE, but has since clarified their meaning).

When I had a similar issue ... a propane filling station near some switchgear .... I somehow was able to infer a 25 ft. "and not downhill from" rule, measuring from the nearest fitting to the nearest place that would make sparks in normal operation, straight line measurement.

construct

I beleive the NEC is silent on this. This would be a question for your Fire Marshall or Fire Code Official. Her is an example under the 2006 International Fire Code: Section 3804.3 requires a minimum separation of 10ft to buildings, public ways, or lot lines. And a minimum of 3ft between containers. This is for tanks that are 251 to 500 gal.

laketime

Got my answer from the propane company that supplied the tank and services the customer. Drum Roll.........................10 FEET!!!! Once again. it pays to ask before you install. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.