Old Cutler Hammer Panel Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highendtron

A customer has an older Cutler Hammer panel that has a bar on the line side of the breakers. He has two double tapped breakers and no extra spaces. The breakers look a lot like a typical CH breaker with a grove in the line side that holds the breaker in the panel. I went to order some of the breakers, that are not made anymore, at the supply house and was told that my best option was to drill out or break the bar off the old panel and use the newer type CH brekaers. I realize that one option is to upgrade the panel but the customer does not have enough money. I think that this particular panel predates a UL rating/listing and am wondering if breaking the bar out will accomodate the newer Ch breakers.Any constructive ideas?

highendtron

Well, I appreciate the humor and I hope that after tomorrow I can report a successful panel alteration with just as much humor!

highendtron

Well, it was probably a good thing that I listened to everyones sugestions and did not alter the panel or breakers...everything worked out fine. Brunke's Hardware in Excelsior Springs, MO stocks those really hard to get breakers. The panel was old and dirty but it did have an UL label.

Status
Not open for further replies.