Porch light on Photo-cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey I was wondering this: I recently have seen an installation where the porch lights of each townhome was on a sperate photocell so they all come on about the same time. Each is on the indvidual units breakers so no common area power used. There is no wall switch to turn off the light for servicing. The photocells are in a dark area and are on most of the day. The Photocells look like they were put in an non visible area that is dark so that is would not obscure the facad.

What I wonder is it ok for there not to be a switch other than the branch breaker to turn it off for service. This is residential .

Thanks

raider1

Staff member
210.70(A)(2)(b) requires at least one wall switch controlled lighting outlet to be installed on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits. A photocell would not be compliant with this section.

Chris

One-eyed Jack

Hey I was wondering this: I recently have seen an installation where the porch lights of each townhome was on a sperate photocell so they all come on about the same time. Each is on the indvidual units breakers so no common area power used. There is no wall switch to turn off the light for servicing. The photocells are in a dark area and are on most of the day. The Photocells look like they were put in an non visible area that is dark so that is would not obscure the facad.

What I wonder is it ok for there not to be a switch other than the branch breaker to turn it off for service. This is residential .

Thanks

This is an acceptable method. Not great but acceptable.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I guess when an owner gets fried changing a broken Lamp the builder might change his methods.

Buck Parrish

Thanks

Yes - 410.141 08

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Exception to (A)(2)(b): In hallways, stairways and at outdoor entrances remote, central, or automatic control of lighting shall be permitted.

Sorry Chris, I'm with you most of the time.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
How is 210.70(A)(2)(b) satisfied? This section requires a Wall switch controlled lighting outlet.

Chris
Just looked at that and there is an exception
at outdoor entrances, remote ,central or automatic control of lighting SHALL be permited.

So I guess it's ok to be unsafe here.

raider1

Staff member
Exception to (A)(2)(b): In hallways, stairways and at outdoor entrances remote, central, or automatic control of lighting shall be permitted.

Just looked at that and there is an exception
at outdoor entrances, remote ,central or automatic control of lighting SHALL be permited.

So I guess it's ok to be unsafe here.

My bad, I should have read the exceptions.;):)

Chris

Jim W in Tampa

Had an inspector try to tag me once on this. Attached garage was changed to office for the model and the 2 coach lights were swithched from front door. I called him and asked him if he read the exceptions. He was honest about it and did not know about them. He was nice about it and said he was sorry and signed me off. Happy ending

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Man, Chris get's one wrong, Larry misses a punch line the other day, and Jim's even agreed with me a couple of times, what in the heck is going on around here? I just don't know what or who to trust any more.;):grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.