RMC Couplings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

Since they are not listed for use in wet locations, what do you do?

524843791.jpg

ivsenroute

Use conductors that have insulation that IS listed for use in wet locations.

We aren't required to make pipe runs waterproof.

Understood, such as UG installations that will be filled with water anyway.

But what about wet areas that are above and lead into enclosures that have switching and sensitive equipment?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

But what about wet areas that are above and lead into enclosures that have switching and sensitive equipment?

The NEC is a minimum set of standards created with safety in mind.

It is up to the designer to protect sensitive equipment while staying within the rules.

If RMC, even though allowed, doesn't provide the protection level the installation requires to protect sensitive equipment, then another type of conduit should be used, LFMC comes to mind.

nhfire77

Make the RMC and the enclosure/box arraigned to drain and not fed in the top. Common sense is necessary, if there is water forming or getting into the RMC and it feeds into a box from the top, that's just bad. Kinda like not using a myers hub above energized parts in a meter, just dumb.

wireguy8169

I am not sure if it actually made them water tight but at a quarry we maintained and did new installs at in Reading PA, we used pipe dope on the threads. We did not use the conduit for an equipment ground always ran one in everypipe. I am not saying to do that or even if its code or not just the reason ing behind it was there was a good bit of moisture, grease, dust, or whatever that I suppose could work its way in through the couplers.

Hope that helps

And its a beautiful day here in Southern Maine too...

Status
Not open for further replies.