Energy Conservation Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
IECC 505.2.1:

Each area enclosed by walls or floor to ceiling partitions shall have at least one manual control for the lighting serving that area. The required controls shall be located within the area served by the controls or be a remote switch that identifies the lights served and indicates their status.

Does this require a separate switch for every room? I think that's the idea. But I'm reviewing a set of plans that show a common switch in the corridor that shuts off lights to several different rooms. I don't think that complies. Does anyone agree or disagree?

Steve

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with you. The notion is that the last person leaving a room should be able to turn off lights in that room, without worrying about whether they are also turning off lights in other rooms. A person leaving one room is unlikely to shut of lights using the corridor switch you describe, since they don't know if the other rooms are still occupied.

raider1

Staff member
What are the rooms that the switch controls?

IECC 505.2.2.1 requires that each area that has a manual contol also be provided with light reduction controls that reduce the light by at least 50%. This could be accomplished by split switching of luminaires.

Chris

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I agree with you. The notion is that the last person leaving a room should be able to turn off lights in that room, without worrying about whether they are also turning off lights in other rooms. A person leaving one room is unlikely to shut of lights using the corridor switch you describe, since they don't know if the other rooms are still occupied.

Thanks Charlie. I agree with your notion, but it seems like the code should say "one individual manual switch or control". I just don't see how the language (without the work individual) prohibits a single common switch since that is a manual control for each each room.

What are the rooms that the switch controls?

IECC 505.2.2.1 requires that each area that has a manual contol also be provided with light reduction controls that reduce the light by at least 50%. This could be accomplished by split switching of luminaires.

Chris

The rooms include a break room, offices, treatment rooms, and other work rooms.

The drawings I'm reviewing show a rather odd design. I don't think the tenants of the building will like it, but I can only comment on code issues. They have a switch that's basically in a corridor, that contols half the lights to 3 or 4 rooms, and another switch beside it that controls the other half of the lights in these rooms.

cdcengineer

Steve66 - I think you're reaching there. The IECC is specific enough and it's my opinion that the intent is for each room to have manual controls. The semantics of wording will often leave an opening for those who wish to argue.

Read on in section 505. There are some exceptions as well as additional requirements. Beware if the building is over 5000 SF. Automatic Shut-off is than a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.