pool grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmoney44

i am wiring an above ground pool and the pool this person purchase is a resin pool..all parts are plastic..no metal on pool what so ever...is the pool motor only thing to ground or still need to run grid around pool... but their is nothing to ground to?????..thanks in advance

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You are not grounding anything at the pool, you are bonding all metal parts together. If there are no metal parts then you still need an equipotential grid. That grid would tie to the motor unless the motor is double insulated, then the wire would just lay there someone installed a pump that needed bonding.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Dennis,
Is it not possible that such a pool would meet the NEC definition as "storable" and thus not need a grid ?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Take a look at 680.26 and 680.26(C)
I especially like (C) :)

pmoney44

i also noticed in 680.26 1 (b) talks about grid and at the end it says for non conductive pool shells bonding at four points not required...so maybe i answered my own ques?????

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
i also noticed in 680.26 1 (b) talks about grid and at the end it says for non conductive pool shells bonding at four points not required...so maybe i answered my own ques?????
I hope you don't think you don't need a perimeter bond. You still need the bonding for the perimeter surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.