fixture and J-box

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenite

we have J boxes in a hard ceiling facing down there are splices made in the box,if you cover this box with a 4ft fixture and have to remove the fixture to get to the splices is the considered accesible and what part of the NEC covers this application,there is only a chase nipple in the back of the fixture

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
we have J boxes in a hard ceiling facing down there are splices made in the box,if you cover this box with a 4ft fixture and have to remove the fixture to get to the splices is the considered accesible and what part of the NEC covers this application,there is only a chase nipple in the back of the fixture

What article prohibits it is the question.

tenite

it is a flouresent and the inspector says the fixture is part of the building and renders the box inaccessable

jumper

it is a flouresent and the inspector says the fixture is part of the building and renders the box inaccessable

Here is the code section Chris cited.

410.24(B) Access to Boxes. Electric-discharge luminaires surface
mounted over concealed outlet, pull, or junction boxes and
designed not to be supported solely by the outlet box shall
be provided with suitable openings in the back of the luminaire
to provide access to the wiring in the box.

Here is the solution presented by Dennis.

1100705630_2.jpg

haskindm

Just curious what if it is an incandescent light?

Then it is not an electric discharge light and this section does not apply. Most incandescent fixtures I have seen are supported by the box, so no access is required. I guess it would be possible to have an incandescent supported separately from the box, but the code does not address it. My understanding is, if it is not prohibited, it is allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.