Remodel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in Atlantic County, NJ. I started doing alot of work for a company that does alot of remodels, some are gutted to the bones and some are just putty and painted. My question is about the gutted to the bones ones. They are a total re-wire from the service on down. Do these homes have to be arc-fault and tamper-proof if no changes were made to the foot print or square footage of the home. Ive been using arc-fault and tamper-proof in all of them but I keep getting slack from the builder saying "If its a remodel you dont have to do that".

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I don't know the local codes but, if it is new wire it is a new installation and subject to applicable codes. What does the builder say about GFCI receptacles, does he think if the house was built before they were required you don't need them now? New is new, old wood, new wire.

RICK NAPIER

The easy part is here is a link for the rehab code which would cover the situation.
http://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes/codreg/pdf_regs/njac_5_23_6.pdf

Now for the complete and confusing answer. The rehab part of the house falls under chapter 6 of the Uniform Construction Code which references the 2005 NEC and since when NJ adopted the 2005 NEC they amended 210.12 so as not to require AFCI protection no protection is required. On the other hand NJ has adopted the 2008 NEC with 210.12 unaltered so a new house and additions would require AFCI protection. The confused state we are in was caused by the election of a new governor. When he was elected a stop was put on the work to update the rehab code to match the 2008 NEC.

Between 406.11 and 210.52 they are required.... which would mean for new work imo.The 2011 code brief i read says if you disturb any rec. you must now replace with a tamper resistant. But most companys have started using all t/r rec. in philly. ??? as far as arcfault i have only seen less then a handfull of em. Im sure that is because of the price.

RICK NAPIER

I forgot to mention in my post that since tamper resistant receptacles were part of the 2008 NEC and not the 2005 NEC they also would not be required in the description you have given.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
In Ca we are on the 2005 however the big boxes sell TR outlets. Most EC out here don't know what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.