Electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you guys call a "fire place"? Is it just the fire box or if it has a brick/rock front & that brick/rock front spreads both directions on either side of the fire box is this whole area called a fire place? Per. Art,210.52.

ericsherman37

Reading your subject line and then reading the content of your post was one of the biggest mental gear-shifts I've made in quite a while.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer. Just had to comment :D

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What would you guys call a "fire place"? Is it just the fire box or if it has a brick/rock front & that brick/rock front spreads both directions on either side of the fire box is this whole area called a fire place? Per. Art,210.52.
I cannot give a definitive answer because the Code does not define fireplace... but it's usage of the word is in reference to openings along the floor line. Ofhand, I'd say most ahj's would be lenient regarding a typical-width mantel... but if it is more a wall than a mantel, count it towards receptacle spacing. If in doubt, consult the local ahj.

I call the "Fire box" the "fire place" & that is the break in the wall space. Since your not going to place anything in front of the fire box but you will along the wall space on either side of the "fire box".

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Consider the purpose of 210.52 -- keeping people from using extension cords to power things in the space between two receptacles.

My vote is that if the "fireplace" projects from the wall, that the "side" of the fireplace counts as a "wall" since someone might place something there and want to not run an extension cord. It's not an "opening" (the operative word) because it isn't, you know, "open".

Status
Not open for further replies.