Tripping AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I inspect homes for buyers and neither I or my peers have run into this before; I'm wondering what might be causing it.

I tested outlets yesterday in a condo bedroom with a normal receptacle (GFCI) tester and the AFCI tripped just while I plugging in the tester (not pressing the GFCI button). I tested 3 different outlets and all did the same thing. The (CH) AFCI did test and reset properly within the panel.

I didn't have a backup tester available, but did plug in a small appliance and did not have any problems... I'm thinking my tester might be faulty. The wiring in the panel apppeared fine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

What happens when you plug that tester into a GFCI protected receptacle?

It operates as usual and it will trip a GFCI as it is supposed to.

I did read on-line that some GFCI testers "can inadvertantly" trip AFCI breakers; but no reasoning or models are given. :-? I had never heard of it, so I decided to ask this forum.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Mine:

A typical GFCI tester is a receptacle tester that has three lights, one between lines, and one between each line and the EGC.

My guess is the current through the EGC is being sensed by the AFCI. I'd see if the breaker will reset with the tester plugged in.

If it won't, that suggests I'm right.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I inspect homes for buyers and neither I or my peers have run into this before; I'm wondering what might be causing it.

I tested outlets yesterday in a condo bedroom with a normal receptacle (GFCI) tester and the AFCI tripped just while I plugging in the tester (not pressing the GFCI button). I tested 3 different outlets and all did the same thing. The (CH) AFCI did test and reset properly within the panel.

I didn't have a backup tester available, but did plug in a small appliance and did not have any problems... I'm thinking my tester might be faulty. The wiring in the panel apppeared fine.

click this link .http://www.licensedelectrician.com/Store/ID/AFCI_Tester.htm

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
AFCI's can be a major pain to troubleshoot. You may have a receptacle with backstabbed connections already coming loose, or have a ground wire almost hitting the neutral terminal. Plugging in the tester may be all that is needed to push the 2 together, or cause a small arc on the loose terminal. Did the receptacle wiggle at all when you plugged in? Also, your button on the tester could be sticking sometimes. Or the problem could be in another receptacle in line. You plug in with a small load, a loose connection arcs in an upstream receptacle and trips the breaker. Start with the 1 in question & work back to the home run.

If backstabbing were not allowed and pigtailing were used, AFCI's would be totally unnecessary. A waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.