common grounding electrode NEC 05'

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks27

250.58 says I can connect two services to the same ground electrode if at the same building. ? I have a multi family dwelling, two six meter sections. 6- 100A mains side by side. the two services are grounded to the same cold water pipe. but no ground rod. I have noticed the cold water pipe is PVC supplied underground. (no 10' in contact with soil) 250.52 a-1 Can I drive one rod and clamp the GEC for each service to the same Rod? Thanks,

wireguy8169

250.58 says I can connect two services to the same ground electrode if at the same building. ? I have a multi family dwelling, two six meter sections. 6- 100A mains side by side. the two services are grounded to the same cold water pipe. but no ground rod. I have noticed the cold water pipe is PVC supplied underground. (no 10' in contact with soil) 250.52 a-1 Can I drive one rod and clamp the GEC for each service to the same Rod? Thanks,

250.58 Common Grounding Electrode. Where an ac system
is connected to a grounding electrode in or at a building
or structure, the same electrode shall be [/COLOR]used to ground
conductor enclosures and equipment in or on that building
or structure. Where separate services, feeders, or branch
circuits supply a building and are required to be connected
to a grounding electrode(s), the same grounding electrode(
s) shall be used.
Two or more grounding electrodes that are bonded together
shall be considered as a single grounding electrode
system in this sense.

The way I read it you do not have a choice but to use the same grounding electrode not that you can. So if the water pipe is not qualified to be a GE then whatever type of electrode you use you have to use for the whole building. hope that helps and good catch on the water pipe

Sorry just noticed your using the 2005 what I quoted was 2008 dont have my copy of 2005, so I may be incorrect for your purpose

Last edited:

sparks27

Thanks,Wireguy I have a few buildings that have the services on opposite ends of the building with seperate feeds.the cold water pipe feeds thru the attic and has a hose bib at the other end. The service at the end of this bldg is grounded to this pipe. From reading this section it looks like I can put one rod in one end and ground the other service to the common cold water pipe that runs thru attic.?

Status
Not open for further replies.