History of GFCI functional requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vertex

Can anyone provide a link or information that would give a time line for GFCI functions as required to be listed? I believe my question is related to class "A" GFCIs but I don't know the meaning of class "A". Perhaps someone could address that as well.

Vertex

Thank you 480.

Actually, I already keep a copy of that history in my service truck. What I am looking for is information such as when a GFI was first required to self check or not function when miswired. I am looking for the history of how the GFI has evolved.

hurk27

Can anyone provide a link or information that would give a time line for GFCI functions as required to be listed? I believe my question is related to class "A" GFCIs but I don't know the meaning of class "A". Perhaps someone could address that as well.

I think the problem with what your looking for "requirements on how a GFCI has to operate" is something that falls under UL requirements, and maybe checking out their web site might be a place to start.

Much of the newer safer GFCI devices came around in just the last 4 or 5 years, I remember being told about these GFCI's at one of the IAEI sectional meetings. I think at or about 2006. so they are very new, otherwise the basic design has been in use since the beginning.

Last edited:

billsnuff

There are two classes of GFCIs - Class A and Class B. The Class A GFCI trips at not more than 5 mA. The Class A GFCI is used where personal protection against ground fault is required or desired.
The Class B GFCI trips when the current exceeds 20 mA. The latter is only used with swimming pool underwater lighting fixtures that were installed prior to local adoption of the 1965 edition of the NEC.

from: http://www.mml.org/insurance/shared/publications/s_and_h_manual/9D.doc

Status
Not open for further replies.