12x12 J box-bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankster

I've got a 12X12 j box that says on the lid it is grounded by incoming conduit or mc cables. Does this mean I need to use a bonding bushing if the conduit is to be its bonding means? I'm tempted to just drill a hole an use a machine screw with nut and loop the ground wire instead.

Thoughts?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Regular fittings can be used for this purpose, even just a lock nut on either side of the jbox wall.

I have real misgivings about doing it this way, having seen so many loose fittings over the years, but it is code legal.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I've got a 12X12 j box that says on the lid it is grounded by incoming conduit or mc cables. Does this mean I need to use a bonding bushing if the conduit is to be its bonding means? I'm tempted to just drill a hole an use a machine screw with nut and loop the ground wire instead.

Thoughts?

If you use emt or other metallic raceways then there is no need to ground the box, however if you use mc cable I believe you need to bond the box based on 250.148

raider1

Staff member
If you use emt or other metallic raceways then there is no need to ground the box, however if you use mc cable I believe you need to bond the box based on 250.148

I agree, EMT can be used to bond the box but if MC cable is used then the box must be bonded using the EGC within the MC cable and not by the MC cable fitting.

Chris

wankster

Thanks guys. I will be feeding it with emt and I think I'm gonna go ahead and loop a ground on a nut and bolt just for fun.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks guys. I will be feeding it with emt and I think I'm gonna go ahead and loop a ground on a nut and bolt just for fun.

I was just looking at 250.148 again and if you splice a ground wire, even if it is in emt, then you need to bond it to the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.