control wires piped with the line voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

danickstr

I ran into some control wires (rated 600v) 16ga stranded (fpe? i think) that had been run with some power wires. Is this ever allowed? I told the HO that I would as least like to fuse the control wires once they leave the line voltage j-box as a safety precaution.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I ran into some control wires (rated 600v) 16ga stranded (fpe? i think) that had been run with some power wires. Is this ever allowed? I told the HO that I would as least like to fuse the control wires once they leave the line voltage j-box as a safety precaution.

If all the wires are rated for 600volts there is no problem:)

danickstr

thanks its not fpe - tffn is what i meant. confusing old panels and wire again :D

i thought there was some limit on the control wire and line voltage, but maybe its only when the wire is not rated high. Although the j-box divider comes to mind.

bullheimer

i have run control wires like that and as was said. legal here as long as rated at 600V. however i got a ghost signal that kept my on/off green light on when it should have been off.

the only answer i came up with was after inspection, i removed the 600V wires and installed a shielded cable instead. problem solved. (there was/is no cable with 600v rating)

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Wayne said you need to determine if these are Class 1,2,or3 conductors. Class 2 and 3 cannot be in the same raceway as power conductors even if they have 600 volt insulation.

bullheimer

for some reason i can't edit today...
what i meant to say was there were no SHIELDED cables with 600V conductors in them. that i could find..... a year ago....

hurk27

for some reason i can't edit today...
what i meant to say was there were no SHIELDED cables with 600V conductors in them. that i could find..... a year ago....

You can only edit your post for about 3 minutes after you post it, not sure exactly how long it is, but doesn't seem very long.

As far as 600 volt wire go, it still depends upon the class of circuit, and that is determine by the power supply feeding it, so 725 is a good place to start when determining whether or not control conductors can be run with power conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.