Sump pump alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

To make a long story short a buddy wired my sister's finished basement. In an unfinished part of the basement is either a sump pump or sewer injector pump, I can't recall which. My friend installed a dedicated line and single receptacle for the pump of which are two cords, one for the pump and one for the floats, I assume, both are plugged into the single rec. (They plug into each other). After my friend left someone came by and installed an alarm and now the inspector wants that plugged in, of course. Now, does this alarm need to be on a different circuit or can it be on the pump's circuit?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Right or wrong I have my sewer ejector pump alarm on the same circuit as the pump plugged in a duplex receptacle.

Jlarson

I would not hesitate to switch out the single outlet for a duplex and plug in the alarm. But that's just how I roll, your mileage may very.

hurk27

So if the breaker trips there would be no alarm?

Not on my dime, If I'm holding the liability of a flooded basement over my head that alarm will be fed from a different circuit.

Here its required by state code.:D

Split Bolt

Not on my dime, If I'm holding the liability of a flooded basement over my head that alarm will be fed from a different circuit.

No, the alarm works off of a battery. It's been a while, but I think the alarm NEEDS to be on the same circuit so it can let you know when the sump pump circuit is out. Who cares if another circuit is out?

stevebea

To make a long story short a buddy wired my sister's finished basement. In an unfinished part of the basement is either a sump pump or sewer injector pump, I can't recall which. My friend installed a dedicated line and single receptacle for the pump of which are two cords, one for the pump and one for the floats, I assume, both are plugged into the single rec. (They plug into each other). After my friend left someone came by and installed an alarm and now the inspector wants that plugged in, of course. Now, does this alarm need to be on a different circuit or can it be on the pump's circuit?

Even if it dosent need to be on a different circuit I would want it to be. If the pump would trip the breaker you would have no alarm. No alarm = no clue whats going on in the basement.

Jlarson

Dude, back up battery. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Dude, back up battery. :D

Agreed. Although the alarm is independent of the power to the pump so even a separate circuit would keep the alarm operating on line voltage instead of the battery backup in the event of the pump circuit tripping.

hurk27

Sorry about that, the alarms we get here are 120 volts only, and are fed from the basement lighting or other circuit, I have a battery back up pump on my house which also has its own alarm, but the alarms I'm talking about have two terminals to attach the wires from a high float switch.

Jlarson

Sorry about that, the alarms we get here are 120 volts only, and are fed from the basement lighting or other circuit, I have a battery back up pump on my house which also has its own alarm, but the alarms I'm talking about have two terminals to attach the wires from a high float switch.

I build my own to fit each project so I can make mine do what I want.:D

mark32

Looks like a 50/50 split with respect to having the alarm on a different circuit or not. I believe the inspector wrote something eluding to it being on a different circuit, I'll have to get my hands on the notice. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.