meter box estimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

konaka

Can you help me estimate a meter box replacement.

I'm in Georgia. This is a flush mounted 200A meter box. Going to replace it with the same size meter box as is currently in the house so no need to cut and fit the house siding to a new size. No wiring to replace. Just pull out the old box and in with the new.

PoCo hands out the meter boxes for free so no cost for parts/supplies.

I figured it can't be more than 1.5hrs labor at most for labor. 1 guy. Sound about right?

Thanks!

Split Bolt

Is the POCO going to kill power? Will they restore power without an inspection first? Are you getting a permit? Underground or overhead? Are the old lugs hi-pressed or screw down? Will the existing connections be in exactly the same place as the new? 4/0 ALU with possible hi-press lugs on the ends is going to be fun to get out of one KO and back through another! I would say at least 3-4 hours.

cadpoint

"SPEED" is the one thing that scares me about going out on my own, hand holding the clients, the business side that need to be addressed, and then U get to do the work.

I don't think I could bust the Can loose in 1.5 hours much less complete it, U need some lead time and basic dead time as stated in the other posts. Some people even throw in Travel time.

hurk27

Can you help me estimate a meter box replacement.

I'm in Georgia. This is a flush mounted 200A meter box. Going to replace it with the same size meter box as is currently in the house so no need to cut and fit the house siding to a new size. No wiring to replace. Just pull out the old box and in with the new.

PoCo hands out the meter boxes for free so no cost for parts/supplies.

I figured it can't be more than 1.5hrs labor at most for labor. 1 guy. Sound about right?

Thanks!

Overhead?
Underground?

I can't even see how you could passably bust out a "flush" in the wall meter can much less put one back in? in 1.5 hours?:confused:

or did you mean a surface mount?

growler

Going to replace it with the same size meter box as is currently in the house so no need to cut and fit the house siding to a new size.

If it's the same/exact meter can with just a burned lug or something then I just replace the socket and don't changed the box.

As others have said the real problem is getting ths power company to kill power when needed. You may schedule for 9:00 AM but that doesn't mean they are going to be there.

I would give it a little more time if I were estimating the job. It could happen in an hour and a half but that's on a lucky day.

Do you feel lucky?:D

hurk27

If it's the same/exact meter can with just a burned lug or something then I just replace the socket and don't changed the box.

As others have said the real problem is getting ths power company to kill power when needed. You may schedule for 9:00 AM but that doesn't mean they are going to be there.

I would give it a little more time if I were estimating the job. It could happen in an hour and a half but that's on a lucky day.

Do you feel lucky?:D

I have lugs and guts for about the last 8 series of meters they used in this area, it definitly pays off to keep some parts around, and makes for happy home owners too.:D

Article 90.1

Did one a few weeks back in under an hour (200 amp underground, dead). It took longer to wait for the POCO to come back.

Needed to change a Murray to a Milbank so that we could add line side taps to feed a "green meter." I had hoped to just switch the guts, but the bolt pattern did not match up.

You will have material, though. What about no-alox, screws to mount the box, caulk, new plastic bushings or LN's if necessary, tape if changed out hot, etc.

Depending on your POCO and Inspector I would budget 1/2 day at least for the whole process as you may need so sit and wait for either of them.

Last edited:

konaka

the poco will kill power

there are no hi pressure lugs, just standard hex head bolts on the lugs

the power lines are underground.

the boxes are similar enough that the existing wires will all reach the new lug locations

it is flush mount... i'll see if i can just replace the socket...

thanks!

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Show up, wait for poco, see rotten back board, go get new wood miss poco, but power is now off,gut out pipe riser,wire too short,get it all done, wait for inspector, wait for poco.

1-1/2 hr.? hmm can you get back on the RFIs in 1-1/2hr.?

This is where we make our money so I will still charge you $600 min. if it is quick, if harder charging more.

bullheimer

i think i got about 6 bills for splicing all six wires in the existing enclosure and running them to another surface mounted one screwed over the top of the old one. took about 2 hrs. i would have replaced the 'socket' but only had one piece and it wasnt the same height as the old ones. make sure they are the same height. that is what the power guy wants, so the pins go in all the way and the meter is up against the metal. otherwise you have to do what i did or replace the box. haha! (it was in a log cabin) no fin way to get it outta there, and if so no way to get the wires back in. have fun. just charge him $150 for a couple of hours.....

(and $400 for having the replacement parts)

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
four hundred eighty seven dollars and forty three cents.

Seriously:

Figure your business costs for a year.

Decide what you want to make per year.

Divide total by how many of this job you can realistically do in a year.

(You may have more than 1.5 hours in it already if you went to look at it. Pulling permits take time, as others have said POCO eats time. 2 of these jobs may kill a day?)

jes25

four hundred eighty seven dollars and forty three cents.

Seriously:

Figure your business costs for a year.

Decide what you want to make per year.

Divide total by how many of this job you can realistically do in a year.

(You may have more than 1.5 hours in it already if you went to look at it. Pulling permits take time, as others have said POCO eats time. 2 of these jobs may kill a day?)

How would you actually go about estimating the time for a small job like this? Would you just take a guess at the time? Use software? Use a database you have compiled? Or gut feeling from experience?

Last edited:

CopperTone

do you have to wait around for the poco?

set up, clean up, paperwork all takes at least an hour. 1.5 hrs to do the work. Time to go to the bank? data entry into computer?

travel? waiting for poco? permit fee? time it takes to travel to file permit?

this should be billed at least 4 hrs minimum plus any misc. material and permit cost.

I would pay you two hours pay @ $25-$30/hr and I would bill this job at $400

flyboy

How would you actually go about estimating the time for a small job like this? Would you just take a guess at the time? Use software? Use a database you have compiled? Or gut feeling from experience?

You use a flat rate pricing system that is based on your numbers. The numbers come from your budget.

Your budget is based on your expenses, desired profit and your billable efficiency.

Use this formular:

Get the right price!

Here?s how to figure your selling price for a one truck operation (you in the truck, no employees): Copy and paste this into Word, Excel or program of choice.

Billable Hour: A billable hour is the actual time during the workday when income is produced. FACT: Your total billable hours for one year will not exceed 1,000 hours.
4 (hours a day) x 5 (days a week) x 50 (weeks) = 1,000 hours/yr.
Total Billable Hours/Year: 1,000 Hrs. Don?t make this higher, it very accurate.

Selling Price: This is the hourly amount you must charge as the labor component of your flat rate pricing. It does not include material. Include material in your flat rate pricing and mark it up whatever amount you desire (or not). Your really only selling your labor, so if you sell your parts & equipment at cost (including freight & taxes) it really doesn?t matter. What matters is selling your billable labor hour.

OVERHEAD ITEMS: Fill in amounts and total it on line 36.

1. Owner?s Salary __________________ (owners salary should not be less than
2. Advertising - YP ___________________$100,000, even in the first year of business)
3. Advertising ? Other ___________________
4. Answering Service ___________________
5. Bad Dept ___________________
6. Bank Charges ___________________
7. C.P.A. ___________________
8. Call Backs ___________________
9. Cellular Phone ___________________
10. Computer Expense ___________________
11. Credit Card Fees ___________________
12. Donations ___________________
13. Dues/Subscriptions ___________________
14. Educational Expense __________________
15. Gasoline Expense __________________
16. Health Insurance ___________________
17. Insurance ? Truck ___________________
18. Insurance ? Contractors ________________
19. Insurance ? Umbrella __________________
20. Insurance ? Workers Comp ______________
21. Legal Expense ___________________
22. Office Supplies ___________________
23. Payroll Company ___________________
24. Payroll Burden ___________________
25. Postage Expense __________________
26. Rent & Taxes ___________________
27. Retirement/401k ___________________
28. Telephone ___________________
29. Tool Repair/Replace ____________________
30. Travel & Entertain ____________________
31. Truck Expense ___________________
32. Truck Maintenance ____________________
33. Unforeseen Items ____________________
34. Uniform Service _____________________
35. Utilities _____________________

36. Total Yearly Expenses ___________________

37. Expenses Divided by 1,000 B/H = _____________ (This is your break even (B/E) price ?
NO PROFIT!

20% PROFIT ON TOP OF BREAK EVEN COST: This is a standard acceptable profit, please don?t short change yourself. Enter the breakeven number from above and divide by .80 to get your selling price.

__________________Divided by .80 = CORRECT Selling Price Of______________/hour
Enter break even number here
B/E Cost = 80% Of Selling Price

Now you have what your labor per hour in your flatraate system should be. You need to factor all your time in selling the job, staging and preping the job, doing the actual work, clean up and collecting your money.

This job could easily go for $1,200 to $1,500 depending on breakeven and desired profit. I'd sell it for closer to $1,500.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Gut feeling from experience, since I usually work by myself I can afford to take longer when I'm wrong, nowadays I average taking less time than I guessed. And add a little to cover if it takes longer.

Sounded like a 4 hour job, I wouldn't promise another customer a specific time on the day I had scheduled for this job.

Status
Not open for further replies.