interior whirlpool tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

This ground lug on the motor. most of them I have done in a while did not have the lug.
I don't have to run a #8 back to the panel doI? Pless say no.;)

jumper

I do think so:

680.74 Bonding. All metal piping systems and all grounded
metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be
bonded together using a solid copper bonding jumper, insulated,
covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG. The bonding
jumper shall be connected to the terminal on the circulating
pump motor that is intended for this purpose. The bonding
jumper shall not be required to be connected to a double insulated
circulating pump motor. The 8 AWG or larger solid
copper bonding jumper shall be required for equipotential
bonding in the area of the hydromassage bathtub and shall not
be required to be extended or attached to any remote panelboard,
service equipment, or any electrode.

Buck Parrish

hydro massage tub. in hillsboro .. I call it an interior whirlpool tub. Because it does not have a heater

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
hydro massage tub. in hillsboro
I would not run a #8 back to the panel. Manufacturer may req. it but generally not. I don't think you will have an issue in Orange County--- they use common sense.

If there is metal piping throughout I would jump from the water line to the motor.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Mike you can read 90.1 all you want but the fact is the manufacturers are full of it and wasting our time and money. The NEC sees no sense in it but because the manufacturers don't understand squat about their product they over spec stuff that is bogus. A pool does not need bonding back to a panel but if you feel the need to turn down someone for a hydromassage not being bonded to a panel then go ahead.. I think it is a BS call I don't care what the manufacture states. There is no basis for this in this situation.

Buck Parrish

Mike you can read 90.1 all you want but the fact is the manufacturers are full of it and wasting our time and money. The NEC sees no sense in it but because the manufacturers don't understand squat about their product they over spec stuff that is bogus. A pool does not need bonding back to a panel but if you feel the need to turn down someone for a hydromassage not being bonded to a panel then go ahead.. I think it is a BS call I don't care what the manufacture states. There is no basis for this in this situation.

Dottos .......

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Dottos .......

Guess you did not read the last line of my post.

iwire

Staff member

Wow, so angry over something you get paid to do.:confused:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Wow, so angry over something you get paid to do.:confused:

Principals, Bob. You run a business, get done and have to go back because you failed-- costs you money, ho money etc. I am in business to make money but I have close relationships with my customers and I don't care how much money they have or how much I can make off of it-- it feels wrong to me.

I don't like manufacturers dictating code- we see what it has done to the NEC in many cases. The whole CSST situation is a great example of not knowing what they were doing or what they were talking about so they scrambled got it wrong and then corrected it-- still there is a discrepancy between companies even tho the product is the same. There should be no reason for that.

I know it puzzles you when an EC complains about the extras that we have to do-- I don't mean this in a negative way- but if you dealt more with ho's who don't have the endless amounts of money that commercial people have you may see it differently--- maybe not.

Again, why is a solid copper never required for an inground pool to be run to a panelboard but a hydromassage manufacturer can dictate whatever they want with no justification.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am not that angry about it since I never have been forced to do it. I'll save the real anger for when that happens. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.