Wood under genset frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianMuir

Hi,
I have a project including an (outdoor) backup generator. As far as I know the manufacturer recommends the genset be installed frame directly on the concrete pad. The client wants to put pressure treated wood in between to reduce vibration, and is asking me for my opinion. I'm not sure I like this idea in the long run. I put in an inquiry back to the generator supplier but I thought I would also float this out to you guys.
thanks

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Hi,
I have a project including an (outdoor) backup generator. As far as I know the manufacturer recommends the genset be installed frame directly on the concrete pad. The client wants to put pressure treated wood in between to reduce vibration, and is asking me for my opinion. I'm not sure I like this idea in the long run. I put in an inquiry back to the generator supplier but I thought I would also float this out to you guys.
thanks

If the mfgr recommends concrete, the unit is likely has rubber mounts. Mounting this on wood may actually increase vibration.

If the nomenclature specifies concrete, that is what has do be used. Recommending is a different issue. Look closer at the paperwork to see if concrete is required or just recommended.

BrianMuir

I have confirmed that this generator has internal isolators. I have recommended to the client that they mount directly to the pad, as indicated in my drawings.
thanks for the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.